Golf cart motorcycle engine conversion

mullins87

Threads
This winter, I decided to take on a project. I've had this golf cart since '98. I lifted it about a week after I got it. I knew the stock 9 hp engine would be underpowered with the 22" tires and stock gearing, but I figured I would just put a larger engine in it when the original one crapped out. Well, 14 years later and a lot of utility/offroad abuse, that stock Kawasaki FE290 is still going strong. So, I decided I would put a motorcycle engine in it.

First and foremost, I wanted to keep the cart usable around the farm, not just have a 100 mph screamer like so many others. With that said, I decided to keep the original transaxle so I would have reverse. The motorcycle engine needed to be on the smaller size so it wouldn't overpower the transaxle. I wanted liquid cooling for obvious reasons. I went with a 2004 Ninja 250.

Now for the fun part, since the input shaft on the transaxle rotates in a counter-clockwise direction, the engine has to be mounted backwards. I could have mounted it facing forward and simply shifted into reverse to go forward and forward to go backwards, however the gear ratios are different. I installed a counter shaft that connects to the engine output sprocket via a short chain, then another sprocket on that shaft connects to the transaxle input shaft via a longer chain. Right now I have it geared for about 40-45 mph at 6k-7k rpm. Hehehe, that Ninja 250 is factory redlined at 13k, but I don't plan on ever spinning it that fast. If I do a high speed gear set for the transaxle, it should do 60-70 mph.

I think I will mount the radiator up front, but I haven't got that far. At this point, I'm still welding my axle brackets. But I used up my last tip tonight and will have to get more tomorrow. Here are some pics I shot tonight, I'll try to keep this thread updated as I make progress.

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10181-001.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10182-002.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10183-003.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10184-004.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10185-005.jpg

mullins87

Threads
I got a little more done today, finished welding on the transaxle and input shaft support bracket. Also I got the radiator mounted. It is up front, over the tie rod and should be well protected when offroad. I think it will get enough air flow, but we'll see the first time I try it out.

Sorry, no pics today.

mullins87

Threads
Got a few pics of what I accomplished this weekend.

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10223-006.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10224-007.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10225-008.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture10226-009.jpg

txzrider

Threads
I am certainly impressed...

mullins87

Threads
Why thank you. :smile:

mullins87

Threads
I only had a couple of hours last Saturday to work on the project, so needless to say I didn't get much done. I got all of the cabling off the bike and attached to the engine, but they are all too short and somehow I knew they would be. I started stripping out the wiring that I'll need to make the engine run. I didn't realize just how much wiring there would be on a little 250cc street bike. I pretty well have everything separated out and labeled up to the steering neck where the ignition switch is located. I don't intend to use the ignition switch, and I didn't intend on using the fuse block. However, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I think it would be easier to use it than to build a new one. I have a muffler on order, just waiting for it to arrive. Once it does, then I'll be able to start fabbing up the exhaust system. I'm not sure where I will find the four cables I need, anyone have a suggestion?

Man I can't wait to fire this baby up!!!

mullins87

Threads
Well crap, I didn't get to play with the cart any at all this weekend!! :thumbdown: I have this week off, so I'm hoping I can get some shop time in after Christmas.

mullins87

Threads
Darn flu!!!! I got sick Christmas day and am just now beginning to feel like doing something again. I won't get much of an opportunity this weekend either, darned family obligations. Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed to have a family and even more blessed to be in a position to help when I can. I'm going to try to work on it some either the 31st or 1st as I have those two days off as well. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics then.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!!

okiepc

Threads
Very nice job, you know what your doing, plus looks like you have the proper tools.:thumbsup:

mullins87

Threads
Thank you for the complement. But, as for knowing what I'm doing, well that won't be determined until I live through the trial run. :laughing: