Golf cart motorcycle engine conversion

mullins87

Threads
Finally got to work on the cart some today. I didn't get much done, but any progress is a step forward. I had to add a brace to one of the counter shaft brackets as it flexed a little during some informal stress testing. I got the ignition coils, shifter linkage, thermostat housing and radiator overflow tank mounted. I did some work on the throttle cable mechanism, but finishing it will have to wait until next weekend.

okiepc

Threads
Lookin good, keep up the hard work & keep us informed. :thumbsup:

mullins87

Threads
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!! I got to work on "Frankencart" today, finally. I got the throttle linkage completed, and also hooked up the cooling system, crankcase breather and began working on the clutch. I got the clutch pedal fabbed up and mounted, but now I need to actually connect the clutch pedal and cable. However, I did get the wiring harness out of the bike and made enough connections to make it run. Since I don't have any coolant in it just yet, I didn't let it run for very long, only about 10 seconds or so. I know it won't overheat in that short of a time frame, I don't want to ruin the water pump. Here are a few pics I took today just before I called it quits. Still looking kinda rough, but at least I'm making progress.

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture11658-010.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture11659-011.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture11660-012.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture11661-013.jpg

mullins87-albums-winter-project-2012-picture11662-014.jpg

CauZey

Threads
I can't wait to see this done!

txzrider

Threads
Gotta say, I am more impressed everytime you report more progress.

mullins87

Threads
Thanks guys, I can't wait to see it done either. At this point I need to connect the clutch cable to the pedal assembly, fab up an exhaust system and clean up/mod the wiring harness. Once that is done, the rear body will go back on so I can fab up a shifter and linkage and build an instrument panel. I'm sure I have forgotten something.....

mullins87

Threads
I didn't get any time to work on Frankencart this weekend, I had too many other things that had to get done. Maybe next weekend. :ashamed:

mullins87

Threads
Yet again I didn't get to work on Frankencart very much. I did get the clutch connected and functioning, but now I'm working on the exhaust system. Running a pair of straight pipes out each side or the back would be the easiest by far, and would save myself a lot of head scratching and fabrication, but it would be soooo loud and I don't want that. I want it to be quiet, I know it won't be golf cart quiet, but I don't want it any louder than the bike was when new. I know I will need some really tight radius bends in the tubing, and I may need a smaller muffler. I guess if all else fails, and against my cheaper judgement, I may just have to finish the build and take it to a muffler shop for some custom tubing.

Ugh, I am so ready to get this thing done!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yet again I didn't get to work on Frankencart very much. I did get the clutch connected and functioning, but now I'm working on the exhaust system. Running a pair of straight pipes out each side or the back would be the easiest by far, and would save myself a lot of head scratching and fabrication, but it would be soooo loud and I don't want that. I want it to be quiet, I know it won't be golf cart quiet, but I don't want it any louder than the bike was when new. I know I will need some really tight radius bends in the tubing, and I may need a smaller muffler. I guess if all else fails, and against my cheaper judgement, I may just have to finish the build and take it to a muffler shop for some custom tubing.

Ugh, I am so ready to get this thing done!!

Sounds like you know what your doing.
When doing the exhaust remember both pipes need to be as close to the same as you can get them.
Built a go kart a few years ago with the engine off of a cb 350. Was crazy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

mullins87

Threads
Sounds like you know what your doing.
When doing the exhaust remember both pipes need to be as close to the same as you can get them.
Built a go kart a few years ago with the engine off of a cb 350. Was crazy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

I've never been fortunate enough to get to drive one, but I've seen some shifter carts that were absolutely wicked on the track. They look like way too much fun. I bet you had a lot of fun with yours. My sons have a two seater off-road cart that has a sad, sad 6.5 hp Tecumseh on it...........I better get Frankencart finished before I even start thinking about their cart!