Repairs john deere 320

joeljoel

Threads
Hi im new to the site and have recently bought a john deere 320 riding mower. I was hoping someone could tell me the anssers to the issues it has. First the battery indicator light turned on and i replaced the battery. It still remains on so i think it might be the voltage regulator as i tested the brown/white and brown/yellow wires going to the voltage regulator from the flywheel. My volt meter read 14 volts. I dont know how to test the voltqge regulator though to be sure that is what it is.

The other issue is aith the front end. It clunks when going through the yard. Not a steady clunk just when i hit an uneven portion of the yard. I noticed too while sitting still that the front axle will move backward and forward when turning the steering wheel. Not sure why it does this.

Finally i purchased a front lift kit from the dealer as i am planning on using my snowthrower this winter. Im planning on making my own weights.

Thanks in advance/

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the make and model number for both the engine and the unit.

joeljoel

Threads
Oops I guesa that would help. I'll xheck tonight. The unit serial number is partially worn off. And the engine is a kawasaki engine and i'll have to look for that number too.

joeljoel

Threads
I located the numbers. The engine number code is FD590V-AS00. Its a kawasakl 18 or 19horse I think.

The john deere model number is *M00320XI513??* 320 tractor. (riding lawn mower)

The snowthrowee is model number is *M03290X120544*
S/N 42 snowthro-200

The tractor model number I cant read a the last couple of digits.

joeljoel

Threads
Thanks for the service manual link. I've browsed through it using my smartphone. I really need to get an ipad. These phones are going to make me go blind. :).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look at Section 7 in the manual it gives a very good description on how to test the various parts of the charging system. That should help you diagnosis your problem.

Below is a parts breakdown for your tractor. When you go to the section on the front axle I wound look to see if the bushing, part #4, is bad. Check all the linkages on this diagram to make sure they are tight. If you have jack stands, put the unit up and then check for loose parts.

JOHN DEERE Parts Search | FREE

joeljoel

Threads
Thank you rivet. You are truly a mower addict. I am going out now to look at the front end. you suppose i have to take the wheels and all the steering linkage off just to check the axle bushing?

joeljoel

Threads
I started taking the front end apart and one thing lead to another. I have the hood off, the muffler offand the pto has to come off in order to get the axle down. I wasn't thinking it would take this much to fix an axle. While under the frame I noticed the drive belt is severely weathered and will need to be replaced. both valve covers are leaking. I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and push it to the curb. He he.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't push it to the curb until you know how much it is going to cost to repair. Sometimes things look a lot worse than they seem. Take your time, price it out, then make your decision. Now that you have both manuals, you may just like a winter project.