John Deere is stuck

Threads
well i got the transmission pulled off last night. before i took it off i lifted the rear end up in the air with a jack. it took a bit of turning, but the right tire would spin up to speed but the left would barely spin. after i pulled the transmissioni got to looking, and i noticed the left wheel had no key. and i checked the axle and you could tell it has been missing for quite sometime. i cleaned the spring and small, round, flat filter as well. so im not for sure exactly what to look for, but i guess i will just drain the oil and replace with what is suggested above. make a new key and put it all back together and pray it will work. thanks for all the help!!!

I hope it helps! Good luck! :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hope that I am not to late and you started to tear into your transmission. Your problem could be just that missing key. What will happen is that the axle will turn on that wheel but no go, because the tranny differential will spin but not send power to the other wheel. Put in a new key and spin one wheel. The other wheel should spin in the opposite direction. It's worth a try and could save you a lot of $$$$ and frustration.

MBTRAC

Threads
The missing key is most likely the immediate cause for loosing drive, but changing the tranny oil sure won't hurt & preserve the tranny's life - if the oil you drop from the tranny is dirty brown or black with a slightly burnt small it's a sign the oil is well passed is used by & will impact the tranny durability & drive characteristics.

mowerguy

Threads
i have not torn into the tranny yet thankfully. both wheels are off and spinning the pulley on top makes one axle spin one direction and the opposite axle in the other. limited slip correct? so tomorrow at work i will make a key and monday i'll pick up some oil. any idea what the capacity is on that transmission? so far the only thing i've found online about it is "service not recommended". with it not being mine, i dont have a manual for it. and advice is greatly appreciated.

MBTRAC

Threads
i have not torn into the tranny yet thankfully. both wheels are off and spinning the pulley on top makes one axle spin one direction and the opposite axle in the other. limited slip correct? so tomorrow at work i will make a key and monday i'll pick up some oil. any idea what the capacity is on that transmission? so far the only thing i've found online about it is "service not recommended". with it not being mine, i dont have a manual for it. and advice is greatly appreciated.

Good question, as I buy all the oil for the farm in bulk drums I've never actually measured it, I just dump it every 100hrs & refill - at a guess I'd guarantee it's capacity is no more than 2.7litres/0.71 gallons.......

mowerguy

Threads
MBTRAC quick question. checked with thelocal auto dealers and no one has 5w-50 in stock. i picked up some 20w-50. will this work or should i just order some 5w-50 and wait for it to come in?? thanks

MBTRAC

Threads
MBTRAC quick question. checked with thelocal auto dealers and no one has 5w-50 in stock. i picked up some 20w-50. will this work or should i just order some 5w-50 and wait for it to come in?? thanks

I only ever used Mobil 1 5w50 Synthetic Engine oil, our summer ambient is well over c.100F+ & winter down to c.36F

Here's a link I found to Tuff Torq's recommendations - the LT155 has a K51B tranny (apparently oringinally filled with 10w30 API Class Motor Oil ? - sounds like a ocst cutting measure spec'd by JD originally to me....), according to the link the K51's oil capacity is only 2.25litres but that seems too low in my experience .....
https://www.tufftorqservices.com/En...echInfo/ttcoil/pdfs/Fluids and Lubricants.pdf

I'm in the middle of our wheat harvest, so it will probably take a day or two for me to respond to questions.

mowerguy

Threads
I actually found that link after I posted my last comment. and decided i better go get the 5w-50. I drained the oil to the best of my abilities and then readded oil. i reinstalled the transmission. with everything put back together, the axles will spin while it was still on the jack without the wheels and tires on. but the looked to be going awfully slow. if you grab one of the axles it will just stop spinning and there is no force to make it want to continue to spin. this is not what i wanted to see. any ideas on what could have went wrong???

MBTRAC

Threads
I actually found that link after I posted my last comment. and decided i better go get the 5w-50. I drained the oil to the best of my abilities and then readded oil. i reinstalled the transmission. with everything put back together, the axles will spin while it was still on the jack without the wheels and tires on. but the looked to be going awfully slow. if you grab one of the axles it will just stop spinning and there is no force to make it want to continue to spin. this is not what i wanted to see. any ideas on what could have went wrong???

Hmm, that doesn't sound good - put the tyres back on & try it on the ground ...........if it's the same best case it maybe the belt tension/pedal adjustment..... or worst case the old oil had totally degraded the transmission has overheated & cooked itself beyond repair....

chance123

Threads
When changing the hydro oil on some of these machines, you must purge the air out of the system. This is usually done by raising the drive wheels off the ground, put it in drive, and just let the wheels rotate for a while. On some of the Toro/Exmark machines, I have let it run more than ten minutes for "both" wheel motors to have full/equal pressure.