Building one's own mower

adan

Threads
My late father used to work as a foreman in the company's machine shop. I was still a kid then. But I remember they fashioned machine parts. So, this thought crossed my mind. With proper tools, engine and material, it is possible for anyone to build one's own mower. But I presume there are laws that regulate such activities.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back in the 60's there were several 'independent' manufacturers, actually guys in their garages making lawn mowers... no two were ever exactly the same...
The only restrictions that I know of would be the time to do it and the space that you might need to assemble... :smile:KennyV

touree

Threads
You are thinking in the right direction but I can imagine how time consuming this would be plus unless you have all their is to manufacture a perfect one, all efforts would be fruitless. Come to think of it anyway, how was the first mower ever made? Through such trials and errors.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I think anyone who can make their own mower is amazing. I look up to people like that. I wish I was handy like that.

adan

Threads
Well, the reason why I'm fascinated with mowers is because I'm planning for retirement. It's a long way down the road. But I've seen retired people who have become irritable for lack of something to do.

So, in a retirement scenario, building a safe mower would look like a great project to do. It fills up your time. It also keeps your mind very active and creative. It's not as big and as complicated as a car. So, perfectly doable :)

touree

Threads
Your line of thought is on point and it is true most people become frustrated in their retirement years given the fact that they were so used to keeping themselves busy.

Walt 2002

Threads
I built a lawn tractor AND the mower deck when I was in my 20s, had a family, no money and very few tools. Still have the tractor, mower deck eventually needed major repair, by that time things had changed and junked that.

Walt Conner

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
adan;7473 I'm planning for retirement. It's a long way down the road. But I've seen retired people who have become irritable for lack of something to do. [/QUOTE said:
I'm retired ... But where is this lack of something to do? When will that kick in? :biggrin::biggrin:
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm retired ... But where is this lack of something to do? When will that kick in? :biggrin::biggrin:
:smile:KennyV
Kenny, you hit that one right on the head. I have been retired almost 8 years now, but to me I have so many things to do I keep wondering:

"How did I ever manage to work full time and overtime? And how do I keep this d--- smile off my face on Monday mornings?"

Manny

Threads
Well, I am sure you can build your own anything, if you can obtain the parts. Me - I don't have the kind of time or patience!