JD316 with Starting Problem

OrtisEvans

Threads
I have a ~20 year old JD316 with the Onan 2 cylinder engine. Since maybe a year old, it has had starting problems. The starter gear would not properly engage with the flywheel ring gear and one or bot would get ground off. I replaced the starter twice, and the ring gear twice. I installed a relay kit from JD to increase the current available to the solenoid. Last time, the starter/ring gear replacement was done by the dealer, and it worked for a year. Now, when I turn the key, I get the "rat-a-tat-tat" sound but no engagement. Jumpstarting worked once, but then it stalled and jumping was no help. I rotated the engine to a low compression point and still no engagement. I ran a wire from the battery + terminal to the solenoid and still no action.

Anyone have an idea to fix this finally? I am really tired of working on this thing. I have no other machine that has wasted as much of my time. (For a while we kept it mostly because the cat slept on the seat, but he is gone now)
-Ortis

Elcid76

Forum Newbie
Threads
I feel your pain.... I have a 20 year old 420, and I think that I have spent about 500 a year for the last five just to keep it rolling....

Idea, but I am sure that you have already tried it... the grounds can be bad. Rework EVERY connection to ground (battery cable, engine mounts, starter and solenoid attachments. If the grounds on any of these are corroded, then you will not be getting full voltage where you want it.... Just a thought.... Do you have any ideas on "flooding Onans???"" (ha ha)

GOOD LUCK! I am so close to just dumping mine, but I just keep thinking that maybe this fix will be the last one....

OrtisEvans

Threads
I feel your pain.... I have a 20 year old 420, and I think that I have spent about 500 a year for the last five just to keep it rolling....

Idea, but I am sure that you have already tried it... the grounds can be bad. Rework EVERY connection to ground (battery cable, engine mounts, starter and solenoid attachments. If the grounds on any of these are corroded, then you will not be getting full voltage where you want it.... Just a thought.... Do you have any ideas on "flooding Onans???"" (ha ha)

GOOD LUCK! I am so close to just dumping mine, but I just keep thinking that maybe this fix will be the last one....

THANKS- I finally remembered to log-in and found your post. The ground is worth looking at - I'll give it a try.