Blades Riding lawn mower blade hits cover

txpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
While cutting grass a piece of wire got wrapped around the blade shaft. I removed the wire and started it back up and there was a terrible noise. Jacked it up again and noticed a place where the blade was hitting the cover. What can I do to fix the problem? I'm never done major work on a mower before (well, major to me). I also noticed the other blade was loose - can I just tightened it with a socket wrench and it should be okay? The mower is a craftsman 11HP, an older model. It was my father's and he bought it in the 80's. Also, I have it on jacks so I can reach the blades, but it is still difficult. How can I raise the mower to get to the blades easier? I am a women and don't have the strength of a man. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
While cutting grass a piece of wire got wrapped around the blade shaft. I removed the wire and started it back up and there was a terrible noise. Jacked it up again and noticed a place where the blade was hitting the cover. What can I do to fix the problem? I'm never done major work on a mower before (well, major to me). I also noticed the other blade was loose - can I just tightened it with a socket wrench and it should be okay? The mower is a craftsman 11HP, an older model. It was my father's and he bought it in the 80's. Also, I have it on jacks so I can reach the blades, but it is still difficult. How can I raise the mower to get to the blades easier? I am a women and don't have the strength of a man. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well txpat, you have a potentially dangerous situation and it would be difficult, even for a qualified mower mechanic, to sit on his behind in a swivel chair clicking a mouse and tell you how to repair your mower so it would be safe to operate. We can tell you are trying very hard to do things yourself and I'm sorry for the bad news on your first post but for your safety someone experienced and qualified needs to take a look at the situation.

And up on jacks. Be careful doing that too. If it doesn't feel sturdy stop and re-access the situation.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd like to second getting someone to look at it for you. I don't know your financial situation, but maybe you can find a friend or neighbor that has some experience with mechanical work.

If the blade hits the guard something is bent or has moved under the deck. PLEASE don't get under there with it up on jacks and let it fall on you.

Even if you need to pay someone to look at it ---- it will be less than hospital bills !

adan

Threads
Looks to me like you have indeed sustained a very serious damage there. Mowers are built for tough conditions. But the shafts apparently got bent here. Did you run the mower over a solid protruding rock or something really hard before seeing the wire wrapped around the shaft?

txpat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Ya'll - please see my reply in the small engine repair thread. Sorry about posting in two places, I'm new to the forum and didn't see the other section until after posting here. Thanks for taking time to respond.