HRM215 Hydrostatic Transmission fluid change

lr0584

Threads
Hi Michael:HELLO ROBERT ,, I NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE . SHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL . WHEN BLEEDING THE TRANSMISSION IS THERE A PRESSURE INSIDE OF THE CASE ? IS THERE A POSSABLE CHANCE OF OVER BLEEDING?
MY HANDLE IS lr0584@gmail.com

The HST fluid lasts a long, long time. Unless it's leaking, there's no need to check/change it. In fact, the shop manual says:

HST oil will darken during use and may appear to contain fine metallic particles or residue. This is normal, and does not indicate excessive wear or an internal failure.

Now, if you may have spilled some, so if the mower isn't performing (drive) as it used to, it's possible the fluid level is low.

To add fluid, the entire transmission must be removed from the mower. Place the transmission on flat, level surface, and there's a large round cap held on with two bolts. Remove the cap and diaphragm. Add fluid to fill to the top of the case. Most important, only used genuine Honda HST oil. No other brand or type of oil is suitable for use in the transmission. You can get a quart (part number 08208-HST01) from any Honda dealer; here's a link:

Honda Dealer Locater

If you need help removing the transmission from the mower, reply back with the frame serial number (it's on the back edge of the deck, in the form of "MXXX-1234567") and I'll post a few pages from the shop manual with the full procedure.

Finally, if the HST fluid level is very low or nearly empty, adding fresh fluid then doing a bleeding procedure is necessary. If you need it, I'll post those pages too, just ask.
HELLO ROBERT ,, I NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE . SHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL . WHEN BLEEDING THE TRANSMISSION IS THERE A PRESSURE INSIDE OF THE CASE ? IS THERE A POSSABLE CHANCE OF OVER BLEEDING?

MAGA-1315314
HRX537

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
HELLO ROBERT ,, I NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE . SHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL . WHEN BLEEDING THE TRANSMISSION IS THERE A PRESSURE INSIDE OF THE CASE ? IS THERE A POSSABLE CHANCE OF OVER BLEEDING?

What is your Honda mower's model name a full serial number? The procedure varies, depending on the model.

Look for the data sticker / plates on the rear of the mower deck...

Frame Serial Number will be in the form of MXXX-1234567

Saril

Threads
Michael, here's everything you'll need to do the service. Note the bleeding procedure is from the HRX model, but it's the same for your HRM mower. I also included the parts list and drawings, as they are sometimes helpful to have available.

More than anything else, be sure to really clean the outside of the transmission before opening it up to service the fluid. It's vital that no dirt, debris, etc. get inside the transmission, so get it clean, and work in a clean environment. The transmission is a precision bit of kit, and won't tolerate dirt/crud down inside it.

Robert - thank you very much for this very useful information!

denverslim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, I'm a bit lost, maybe because part of the model # is worn off. It looks like a letter or number that is worn off followed by what is definitely HR-215. The number on the rear deck is MZAM-6240265.
I don't see a belt and the gears after rear wheel remove are different.
Is there a manuel or procedure for transmission fill/bleed.
I get no drive from the transmission.
Thanks in advance, Keith

Saril

Threads
I used this information provided by Robert for my HRB-215 - excellent documentation.
lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/12986-HRM215-Hydrostatic-Transmission-fluid-change

lr0584

Threads
Hi Michael:

The HST fluid lasts a long, long time. Unless it's leaking, there's no need to check/change it. In fact, the shop manual says:

HST oil will darken during use and may appear to contain fine metallic particles or residue. This is normal, and does not indicate excessive wear or an internal failure.

Now, if you may have spilled some, so if the mower isn't performing (drive) as it used to, it's possible the fluid level is low.

To add fluid, the entire transmission must be removed from the mower. Place the transmission on flat, level surface, and there's a large round cap held on with two bolts. Remove the cap and diaphragm. Add fluid to fill to the top of the case. Most important, only used genuine Honda HST oil. No other brand or type of oil is suitable for use in the transmission. You can get a quart (part number 08208-HST01) from any Honda dealer; here's a link:

Honda Dealer Locater

If you need help removing the transmission from the mower, reply back with the frame serial number (it's on the back edge of the deck, in the form of "MXXX-1234567") and I'll post a few pages from the shop manual with the full procedure.

Finally, if the HST fluid level is very low or nearly empty, adding fresh fluid then doing a bleeding procedure is necessary. If you need it, I'll post those pages too, just ask.

HELLO ROBERT : I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THESE PAGES OF REMOVAL OF TRANNSMISSION AND THE BLEEDING OF THE TRANSMISSION . MY EMAIL IS lr0584@gmail.com THANK YOU

speedy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
for Robert the Honda Guru-HR215 since it has a driveshaft and cap with attached dipstick is it possible to remove how many ounces by way of syringe and hose then putting the same new back in without having to remove and bench bleed and re-install? Maximum amount we can suck out and put back in without having to worry about cavitation problems due to air. 1 oz? 2oz? 3oz? 4oz? 5 oz? How many times do you figure to change out the oil before its good enough? 2 quarts worth or 3x 12 oz bottles?

Also after how many years do the seals at transmission body/axle start to leak if at all?
Your recommendations??
Thanks

speedy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used a brand new syringe and clean surgical tube. I could only remove about 30 ml and replaced 30 ml. 30 ml is about an ounce. Paperwork supplied by Robert Honda states if more than 3 oz low then you need to go through the bleed process. the HR 215 HMA/HXA AND HR 215 K1HMA/K1HXA are the only hydro trans that hold 12 oz so Ill be changing the fluid out regularly until the fluid is clear as water. Robert Honda is right about cleaning thorougly before unscrewing dipstick. I used a tooth brush and vacuum and still there is a chance of dirt/dust falling in. Additionally how many have removed the drive shaft or CV cover? Since the transmission gets hot and the area covering the transmission and dipstick cap is gunk encased the transmission can not cool down. Definitely more maintenance but not near as much as a Toro Timemaster.

Ponz

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may have a very, very slow leak, or just be low for some reason. Best to check the level using the proper procedure to be sure, and also look around the underside for any signs of leaks. Might just be a seal (easy to replace) but check the level and watch it to be sure.

If it just needs topping off (only takes a small bit of fluid) no need to remove the trans and bleed it. If it is working and propelling the mower fine with no abnormal noises, then no worries.

1. Be sure the mower is parked on a flat, level surface. If it has been running, let it cool, as the transmission can get very hot.
2. Outside air temp should be no colder than 50, but cooler than 104 outside.
3. Remove drive shaft cover, then the dipstick, wipe it clean, screw it all the way back in*, then remove.
4. Level should be between the lower and upper marks:

hr215hxahstchecklevel_zps23746cd6.jpg

5. Add ONLY Honda HST Fluid as needed to bring the level up between the marks. No other type or brand of fluid is recommended for use in any Honda hydrostatic transmission. Honda HST Fluid is available in a 12 oz. bottle, Honda Part Number 08208-HST01. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

The maximum capacity of the HR215HX transmission is 11.9 ounces.

* The is the opposite of checking the engine oil. If you don't screw the HST dipstick all the way back in to check, you'll get a false reading.
Robert! Are you still here?

I bought a HR215 HXA last week. The tranny fluid doesn't even appear on the stick.
I have a syringe and ready to add. How much should I add, at a time, as to not overfill?

Dumb question, I know.

Thanks,
Ponz

olgeezershonda

Threads
Robert! Are you still here?

I bought a HR215 HXA last week. The tranny fluid doesn't even appear on the stick.
I have a syringe and ready to add. How much should I add, at a time, as to not overfill?

Dumb question, I know.

Thanks,
Ponz
Robert hasn't been seen here for a couple years now.

Just keep adding a bit at a time and check the level each time you do. You'll eventually get there.