HRM215 Hydrostatic Transmission fluid change

MichaelT1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower hesitates moving when it is cold. The transmission seems to need some fluid. Already adjusted the cable and that initially helped.

Does the hydrostatic transmisson need to be removed for this? I found a bolt to remove with the mower on its side but the fluid started coming out and I had to put it back! Fluids color was was not clear but greyish looking and has never been changed in 15 years of use (3 - 4 of them in storage).

Thank you,

Michael

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mower hesitates moving when it is cold. The transmission seems to need some fluid. Already adjusted the cable and that initially helped.

Does the hydrostatic transmisson need to be removed for this? I found a bolt to remove with the mower on its side but the fluid started coming out and I had to put it back! Fluids color was was not clear but greyish looking and has never been changed in 15 years of use (3 - 4 of them in storage).

Thank you,

Michael

Hi Michael:

The HST fluid lasts a long, long time. Unless it's leaking, there's no need to check/change it. In fact, the shop manual says:

HST oil will darken during use and may appear to contain fine metallic particles or residue. This is normal, and does not indicate excessive wear or an internal failure.

Now, if you may have spilled some, so if the mower isn't performing (drive) as it used to, it's possible the fluid level is low.

To add fluid, the entire transmission must be removed from the mower. Place the transmission on flat, level surface, and there's a large round cap held on with two bolts. Remove the cap and diaphragm. Add fluid to fill to the top of the case. Most important, only used genuine Honda HST oil. No other brand or type of oil is suitable for use in the transmission. You can get a quart (part number 08208-HST01) from any Honda dealer; here's a link:

Honda Dealer Locater

If you need help removing the transmission from the mower, reply back with the frame serial number (it's on the back edge of the deck, in the form of "MXXX-1234567") and I'll post a few pages from the shop manual with the full procedure.

Finally, if the HST fluid level is very low or nearly empty, adding fresh fluid then doing a bleeding procedure is necessary. If you need it, I'll post those pages too, just ask.

MichaelT1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert,

The Model number is #HRM215 3HXA
The Serial number is #MZBB-6433105 JK

Please post those pages of the shop manual showing me how to remove the transmission and how to do a re-fill.

Thank you!

Michael

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Michael, here's everything you'll need to do the service. Note the bleeding procedure is from the HRX model, but it's the same for your HRM mower. I also included the parts list and drawings, as they are sometimes helpful to have available.

More than anything else, be sure to really clean the outside of the transmission before opening it up to service the fluid. It's vital that no dirt, debris, etc. get inside the transmission, so get it clean, and work in a clean environment. The transmission is a precision bit of kit, and won't tolerate dirt/crud down inside it.

Attachments

• HRM215K3HX Change Cable Adjustment.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 514
  • HRM215K3HX Drive Clutch Cable Adjustment.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 407
  • HRM215K3HX HST Fluid Drain-Fill-Bleed.pdf
    452.7 KB · Views: 733
  • HRM215K3HX Transmission Parts Catalog Illustration.jpg
    HRM215K3HX Transmission Parts Catalog Illustration.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 428
  • HRM215K3HX Transmission Parts Catalog List.jpg
    HRM215K3HX Transmission Parts Catalog List.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 292
  • HRM215K3HX Transmission R&R.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 534
  • HRM215K3HX Transmission Service.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 565

crobar13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert:
You wrote a thread a couple years ago about replacing transmission in a Honda HR215. You attached a couple of files. However, I do not have a belt driven transmission, it is shaft driven (HR215HXA). I recently acquired the above 22 year old Honda mower that was stored on its front wheels for the last 20 years. After cleaning carburetor and replacing leaked out oil, it runs perfectly, but trans doesn't operate. Cables are adjusted properly, but there is little or no oil in tranny. Can I just add oil to case or do I need to remove tranny and fill and bleed on bench top? If so, can you send me the instructions for the shaft drive model?
Thanks

sdbrown

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same Honda mower HR215HXA and mine has a cap on the top with a dip stick but shows no oil... do I need to service it or just fill it?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same Honda mower HR215HXA and mine has a cap on the top with a dip stick but shows no oil... do I need to service it or just fill it?

It may have a very, very slow leak, or just be low for some reason. Best to check the level using the proper procedure to be sure, and also look around the underside for any signs of leaks. Might just be a seal (easy to replace) but check the level and watch it to be sure.

If it just needs topping off (only takes a small bit of fluid) no need to remove the trans and bleed it. If it is working and propelling the mower fine with no abnormal noises, then no worries.

1. Be sure the mower is parked on a flat, level surface. If it has been running, let it cool, as the transmission can get very hot.
2. Outside air temp should be no colder than 50, but cooler than 104 outside.
3. Remove drive shaft cover, then the dipstick, wipe it clean, screw it all the way back in*, then remove.
4. Level should be between the lower and upper marks:

hr215hxahstchecklevel_zps23746cd6.jpg

5. Add ONLY Honda HST Fluid as needed to bring the level up between the marks. No other type or brand of fluid is recommended for use in any Honda hydrostatic transmission. Honda HST Fluid is available in a 12 oz. bottle, Honda Part Number 08208-HST01. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

The maximum capacity of the HR215HX transmission is 11.9 ounces.

* The is the opposite of checking the engine oil. If you don't screw the HST dipstick all the way back in to check, you'll get a false reading.

Slider1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

What is the procedure for bleeding the transmission on a HR215HXA?

Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

What is the procedure for bleeding the transmission on a HR215HXA?

Thanks

There are two bleed procedures: Initial and Final; see attached...these apply to serial 6200001-9999999

Attachments

• bleed procedure.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 451

lr0584

Threads
Hi Michael:HELLO ROBERT ,, I NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE . SHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL . WHEN BLEEDING THE TRANSMISSION IS THERE A PRESSURE INSIDE OF THE CASE ? IS THERE A POSSABLE CHANCE OF OVER BLEEDING?
MY HANDLE IS lr0584@gmail.com

The HST fluid lasts a long, long time. Unless it's leaking, there's no need to check/change it. In fact, the shop manual says:

HST oil will darken during use and may appear to contain fine metallic particles or residue. This is normal, and does not indicate excessive wear or an internal failure.

Now, if you may have spilled some, so if the mower isn't performing (drive) as it used to, it's possible the fluid level is low.

To add fluid, the entire transmission must be removed from the mower. Place the transmission on flat, level surface, and there's a large round cap held on with two bolts. Remove the cap and diaphragm. Add fluid to fill to the top of the case. Most important, only used genuine Honda HST oil. No other brand or type of oil is suitable for use in the transmission. You can get a quart (part number 08208-HST01) from any Honda dealer; here's a link:

Honda Dealer Locater

If you need help removing the transmission from the mower, reply back with the frame serial number (it's on the back edge of the deck, in the form of "MXXX-1234567") and I'll post a few pages from the shop manual with the full procedure.

Finally, if the HST fluid level is very low or nearly empty, adding fresh fluid then doing a bleeding procedure is necessary. If you need it, I'll post those pages too, just ask.
HELLO ROBERT ,, I NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON TRANSMISSION REMOVAL AND THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE . SHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL . WHEN BLEEDING THE TRANSMISSION IS THERE A PRESSURE INSIDE OF THE CASE ? IS THERE A POSSABLE CHANCE OF OVER BLEEDING?
MY HANDLE IS lr0584@gmail.com