how steep with zero turn.

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know how steep of a grade i can go up with an exmark quest zero turn. I have a hill thats 20 degrees or so. Will the machine get up it or do i have to mow side to side. Haven't bought yet but looking to soon.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anyone know how steep of a grade i can go up with an exmark quest zero turn. I have a hill thats 20 degrees or so. Will the machine get up it or do i have to mow side to side. Haven't bought yet but looking to soon.

I'm a go by the manual guy and according to it you should never mow on inclines with a slope in excess of 15 degrees ( a rise of approximately 2-1/2 ft every 10 feet) and you should always mow across the face of slopes rather than up and down and you should always start at the bottom of the slope and turn up hill at the end of each pass when possible.

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads

I for the most part tend to go by the manual too Ric. And i also read that 15 deg was the max. But can i push it a little (5 deg) without getting into trouble like with oil flow?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I for the most part tend to go by the manual too Ric. And i also read that 15 deg was the max. But can i push it a little (5 deg) without getting into trouble like with oil flow?

Some of the Kawasaki engines will mow up to 20 degrees. My Grandstand can mow up to a 20 degree slope. If that has the Briggs I don't think I'd push it past the 15 degrees to much or an extended period, but that's just my opinion.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wanting to push your luck with a $3000+ unit seems pretty risky to me. If it's a new unit you could even be risking voiding your warranty. In my opinion it's not worth it.

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yah Ric, it's got the Kawasaki engine. Someone else makes a very valid point about the warranty being voided. I'll have to reconsider my options, and my wallet. Thanks

den17

Forum Newbie
Threads
You make a good point Rivets. I'll think more on it. My hill isn't all that big. I thought about a walk behind and that may be another option. Although still not sure oil pressure would be ok at 20 degrees. I'll talk to dealer. Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yah Ric, it's got the Kawasaki engine. Someone else makes a very valid point about the warranty being voided. I'll have to reconsider my options, and my wallet. Thanks

Yes it is a valid point and he is right it's not worth the risk and you also said you were going to talk to the dealer which is a good choice, see what they say I'd be interested in there answer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just as a follow up and according to Kawasaki my GS engine in there words, this engine will operate continuously at angles up to 25 degrees in any direction.
Do Not operate engine exceeding angles of 25 degrees. Engine damage could result from insufficient lubrication. It should be listed under Engine Inclination in the operating section of your motor manual.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not go over 15 degrees unless I have a ROPS system and experienced with the machine on slopes. The engine may be able to handle the slope, but can you and the rest of the unit. SAFETY FIRST!!!