How often do you cut?

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I am terrible lol. I know I should cut my grass more, but I usually wait until it's really long before I even worry about it. I have a pretty big lawn, so I don't want to do it too often. I honestly only do it once a month. Is that bad?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is bad for the grass and the roots ... on most grasses you should not cut more than 1/3 it's length at each cutting...
There are times during the spring that I will mow every 4 or 5 days... :smile:KennyV

macky

Threads
Oh, that's like six times in a month, KennyV! I wonder what sort of grass you have. I presume we don't mow that frequently for bermuda grasses and carabao grasses.

Twinkle

Threads
I tend to mow in response to the weather. As the rain is unpredictable I can't afford to delay if it is time to cut it. Nothing worse than having the rain come before I can get to it and the entire lawn seems to sprout another inch as a result. If I let it get long it is really hard work and, as was said, damaging to the grass. (Plus the neighbours would be mighty gossipy!)

AndyMan

Threads
In the drier parts of the summer it's entirely possible to go a few weeks without needing to mow, then mow twice a week once the rain hits.

I agree, though, about not cutting off more than 1/3 the height. Better to cut high then come back and cut again than to cut too much and ruin your lawn.

junebug1701

Threads
Here in Louisiana the grass grows so fast during the summer you almost have to mow twice a week. Normally I mow once a week but if it rain delays me for a day or two, it gets pretty high and tough to cut. Right now it's been so dry and cool I can do it every other week. We don't get much of an off season here. I'll probably mow for the last time this year in late November and start back up in late February!

adan

Threads
It looks like climate has something to do with the frequency then. In the Philippines, I don't see mowers in action as often as you do it there in the USA. Twice a week looks amazingly frequent. No wonder mowers are absolutely useful in your part of the world.