Cordless impact wrench for removing turf tiger mower blades

Bobby Boyd

Threads
  • / Cordless impact wrench for removing turf tiger mower blades
Has anyone used a cordless impact wrench to remove turf tiger mower blades?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have Never been very impressed with cordless impacts...
You will likely need a 1/2 inch drive electric or air powered impact.... :smile:KennyV

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I was looking at maybe the Milwakee m18 or the newer ingersol rand. 1/2 drive for sure.

Don't always have an air compressor to work with in the field. What pressure would I need to get the bolts off with a air impact wrench? Would an air tank supply enough?

tks.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 400 FT LB rated 1/2" drive air impact wrenck struggles to loosen the blade bolts with my air compressor at 125 PSI. I have installed an aircraft type flat washer under the nuts on my blade bolts which makes their removal easier. It would take a very large volume air tank to support an impact wrench. Aircraft type flat washers are smaller in outside diameter and thinner than standard hardware store washers. I installed them when I had to drill and split two blade nuts to remove them several years ago. I use a cordless impact wrench on the blade bolts on my Ingersoll mower deck but the bolts are 3/8" course thread.
You could use a long breaker bar and a large block of wood under the deck to stop the blades from turning. Bear in mind that the recommended torque on the bolts is 75 FT LBs and the bolts do tighten as they turn while mowing particularly when they strike something. I do not recommend using any anti-seize on the nuts as this makes for a wet torque and when torqued to 75 FT LBs the resulting torque will be much higher.
The real key to this type of blade mounting is to periodically remove and reinstall the bolts in season.
Another problem is that the front of the machine needs to raised up quite high so the bolts will drop out of the spindles.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::laughing::biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mad Mackie, you have a good point about the use of hardened machined True washers, even using grade 8 washers will be an improvement....
Also the warning about tipping the threads, or breaking bolts when using lubricated threads... Most fastener failures are the result of Over tightening... if you lube or wax threads, adjust your torque values...:smile:KennyV

txzrider

Threads
for what its worth, my favourite Christmas present last year was Ryobi's new 1/2 inch drive cordless 18v impact wrench. It does 200 ft pounds and I have not found anything that I cannot use it for, although sometimes I have to get the nut started with my 18 inch breaker bar. I have used it to rotate tires or to remove wheels for brake jobs. I used to run my airhose all over the yard to reach whatever problem I had... now I take the ryobi and if I think it will be really tough... the breaker bar as well.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cordless info is good to know. I have a bunch of cordless drills and screw drivers having been an aircraft mech for many years. Most are lower voltage and lighter in weight as swinging a cordless drill/screwdriver sometimes for 6-8 hours a day putting panels back on aircraft most of it while on my back wears out this old man!!! But now I'm retired!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::laughing::biggrin: