Engine oil type recomended for my kohler 18 hp magnum

garnder

Threads
looking for suggesting on oil type & brand for my kohler engine & oil filter.it is one of the older kohler engines. thanks for your help:rolleyes:

Threads

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
looking for suggesting on oil type & brand for my kohler engine & oil filter.

You will find it Very Hard to beat a Good Synthetic Diesel rated engine oil in Any engine!
Among the Best is Rotella T6...
& Wix filters are among the Best...
:smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi

Is this a gas or diesel engine and what temp do you use this engine in depends on oil weight for the temp you use it. I think i would go with what kohler advises to use for this engine. And welcome aboard ::tongue:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi

Is this a gas or diesel engine and what temp do you use this engine in depends on oil weight for the temp you use it. I think i would go with what kohler advises to use for this engine. And welcome aboard ::tongue:

It's a gas engine and according to Kohler they are a Retired model. Kohler recommends a high quality detergent oil, a straight 30 weight, SG.SH.SJ or higher and 10w30 is not recommended above 32 degrees F. and should be changed every 50 hrs w/filter. If you use the 10w30 Kohler recommends change interval of 25hrs.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is an air cooled gasoline engine... and if you bother to check out engine oils... You will discover the reason I recommend Diesel rated synthetic engine oil...
... OP's post, "looking for suggesting on oil type & brand"
:smile:KennyV

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with Kenny I use t6 in everything and wix fitters on everything but my my race mower with a 20hp Briggs I use a napa gold only because I get them for free.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

garnder

Threads
thanks for the welcome; i will use the t6 & wix filter sounds like a good product:licking::smile::smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for the welcome; i will use the t6 & wix filter sounds like a good product:licking::smile::smile:

I think if you do what the manual says and change the oil every 50 hours as recommended T6 is a waste of money. Regardless if you use the T6 or a high quality detergent, straight 30 weight oil at fifty hours it's dirty and needs to be changed and to that end IMO the T6 is not cost effective.

garnder

Threads
will this t6 hold up under high heat ? I cut grass several times this summer in a 100 + temp which makes the engine run even hotter. not much choice when it is that hot every day