New Stihl RMA 370 Lithium Ion Battery Powered Lawn Mower

Threads
  • / New Stihl RMA 370 Lithium Ion Battery Powered Lawn Mower
To make matters worse, Stihl's estimated run time with this battery, which is the largest available, is only 25 minutes. So if you can't mow your lawn in that time then you either need to take a break and wait for the battery to recharge, or spend another $200 for an additional battery. Since this is a tiny mower with only a 14.5" cutting path, only very small yards are going to be mowable in less than 25 minutes. Meanwhile, the same size Recharge Mower model PMLI-14 Li-Ion mower retails for far less at $459, complete with battery and charger, and has a longer projected run time.

Sigh.

That does NOT have a long run time at all! :eek:

MowerMike

Threads
That does NOT have a long run time at all! :eek:

Yeah, the Greenworks 20" twin blade mower I just bought will run for over an hour with the two supplied batteries and it has a much wider cut. The Stihl mower w/o batteries and charger costs as much as the Greenworks mower, complete with two batteries and charger !

Threads
Yeah, the Greenworks 20" twin blade mower I just bought will run for over an hour with the two supplied batteries and it has a much wider cut. The Stihl mower w/o batteries and charger costs as much as the Greenworks mower, complete with two batteries and charger !

Maybe you are just paying for the Stihl name! :rolleyes:

MowerMike

Threads
Maybe you are just paying for the Stihl name! :rolleyes:

Or perhaps better dealer service and support. I can understand this with a gas powered tool that might need service and repairs, but electric tools are pretty much maintenance free, and if the motor fails you just replace it. About the only replacement part in an electric mower is the blade. I've noticed that Stihl's other battery electric tools are also very expensive; the "occasional use" handheld blower model BGA 85 costs $299.99 w/o battery or charger.

Threads
Or perhaps better dealer service and support. I can understand this with a gas powered tool that might need service and repairs, but electric tools are pretty much maintenance free, and if the motor fails you just replace it. About the only replacement part in an electric mower is the blade. I've noticed that Stihl's other battery electric tools are also very expensive; the "occasional use" handheld blower model BGA 85 costs $299.99 w/o battery or charger.

Yeah that's pretty expensive! :eek:

Augi

Forum Newbie
Threads

I was checking out comments on Stihl's mower and saw you had the GW Twin Force mower. How is it? Can you use it slightly over grown grass w/o it failing? Any starting the mower problems? Does the grass catcher "leak" a lot? Thanks. --Augi

MowerMike

Threads
I was checking out comments on Stihl's mower and saw you had the GW Twin Force mower. How is it? Can you use it slightly over grown grass w/o it failing? Any starting the mower problems? Does the grass catcher "leak" a lot? Thanks. --Augi

I don't know what you mean by "slightly overgrown grass", but it can certainly handle thick grass like St. Augustine w/o any problems. I don't think it would be happy trying to cut foot tall grass, but since I've never let my grass get that tall I don't know for sure. I've had no starting problems with mine, the bag seals quite well, and is great in dry and dusty conditions. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Check out this thread for more details >>> http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

jl_78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone actually own this mower? Lithium mower selection is pretty limited in Canada, so I might buy this since my local dealer has a promotion now if buying the mower, battery, and charger together. I've been using a manual mower for the last few years while patiently waiting for the Bosch Rotak to come to North America, but it doesn't seem like it will.

MowerMike

Threads
Does anyone actually own this mower? Lithium mower selection is pretty limited in Canada, so I might buy this since my local dealer has a promotion now if buying the mower, battery, and charger together. I've been using a manual mower for the last few years while patiently waiting for the Bosch Rotak to come to North America, but it doesn't seem like it will.

Can't you buy Greenworks products in Canada ? They make a 16" Li-Ion battery powered mower that sells for under $300 USD including the battery and charger. That's about half the price of the Stihl mower plus battery and charger.

jl_78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't you buy Greenworks products in Canada ? They make a 16" Li-Ion battery powered mower that sells for under $300 USD including the battery and charger. That's about half the price of the Stihl mower plus battery and charger.

Actually, I just noticed Canadian Tire carries Greenworks... I originally just checked the Lowes Canada website since I thought I read it was a Lowes exclusive. Prices here are generally higher though. With the Stihl promotion, the price is the same as the 20" Greenworks model you have ($550, although Greenworks comes with 2 batteries). The 16" model is $430 here.