Engine John deere L100 valve replacement help

kclawnservice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. I have a L100 that I replaced the valves on. I adjusted the valve lash but am getting a back fire through the carb and exhaust and the motor will not start. Both valves are opening properly and I believe I seated both valves correctly. Serial # is 31F7070129E1. It is a 17hp Briggs motor. I have tried many different valve adjustments from .004 to .006 on both the exhaust and intake valves. The motor turns but will not fire. I am getting a back fire through the carb and muffler. Before I replaced the valves I could get the motor to run but it had no power, that is the reason I replaced the valves. Now I cant get get the motor to run at all. Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...The motor turns but will not fire. I am getting a back fire through the carb and muffler. ....

WELCOME to LMF...
The fact that it is back firing shows that is getting 'fire'... Check your timing, (key on the flywheel may have sheared), changing the electrical timing.... :smile:KennyV

kclawnservice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply Kenny. I am not sure what you mean by the flywheel key. Can you explain a little more? Do you mean the stator may be bad? I know what timing is but not sure how to check that on this motor.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need to remove the screen on top of the engine. may have to remove the blower housing first. Remove either the nut or bolt holding the flywheel, and look at the little slot next to the crankshaft, to see if the flywheel key is offset, or sheared. In some cases may have to remove the flywheel to see the key correctly.

If the key is offset or sheared it will through the timing of the spark off causing it to fire the spark plugs at the wrong time.

kclawnservice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ohhhhh man I am dumb hahaha. The flywheel key is in great shape. I checked that along with the stator. I thought maybe the stator had a problem so i took off the flywheel to look it over. Any other ideas on what to check? Thanks for the help.