Repairs Repairing surface rust LT155...and Seat Suggestion

robclt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a 2002 LT155 in very good condition. One thing which attracted me to it was it came with "all 3 set-ups". Although it is only a 38" it has side discharge, bagging, and a mulch kit. For $800 I thought it was a reasonable deal. I'm the third owner and the prior two sales were done through a dealer. NOW the bad (or not so good) parts. The mower has two areas of surface rust (which I can see so far...I have not completely examined the deck but it looks pretty good). The worst section is right around where the seat fits on. There are several areas of surface rust, including some paint peeling. I hope to take care of these areas using my Fein multimaster, which has very precise sanding capabilities, and the can of green paint I bought from the dealer. I'd love it if someone could "lead me through" this process. What grit(s) of sandpaper to use? Primer? Hints, etc. Not surprisingly, there is also a bit of rust around the frame part of the battery holder...not very much...but something I want to go ahead and take care of. Suggestions? I've attached a couple of pics.

The next hurtle is the seat. I bought the machine not because I have a huge yard, but I have a disability which effects the nerves in my hands (BAD pain)....the vibration of a regular self-prop push just became too much for my hands. I also do not have a great back....3 back surgeries....2 at the same place on my lower back. The Deere low style seat on the LT155 just doesn't get it....actually surprised they would put it on an expensive mower (I know...all is relative!) Anyway, I need to replace it with a comfortable high back seat. The dealer sells one for like $150 which can be bought for less....the dealer says their information suggests I get two extra springs to go with it. Does anyone know about this? Also, does anyone have other suggestions A better seat for less? Tips when installing the new seat, etc.

Finally, (arent you glad this newbie is almost done?lol) As I said the mower seems in good shape, well taken care of, runs well, etc. It has not had it's blades "leveled" recently...but I guess that is easy enough. Anyway, what else should I be looking at as far as PM or other stuff to check out?

Thanks for any feedback!

Rob

Attachments

• frame rust.jpg
    frame rust.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 19
  • under seat rust.jpg
    under seat rust.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 20