Starts easily but wont run under load???

jfmoore79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 46' 20HP lawn tractor that is having an odd issue. The mower will start without a problem and run for a few minutes but once you increase load (Speed or blades) it starts to hesitate/sputters and dies. It will start back up but the problem continues.

I have replaces the plug and filters just in case. Could this be a fuel shut off solenoid problem? Ignition? How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh

jfmoore79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still havent solved the problem...anybody have a guess?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some engine model numbers would help??? With out knowing them I would guess that you either have a carb or valve problem. Also, a more exact post of what is happening will help us picture what is happening. Remember you are our eyes and ears and right now the picture we see is very blurry.

jfmoore79

Forum Newbie
Threads
See if any of this helps...

Craftsman DLS 3500 - 6speed, NON hydrostatic
20 hp Briggs - Engine Model Number - 31P977, Type Number 0635-E1

The best way to describe the problem is that the engine will start without issue, idles well, and I can put into a slow gear and move.

Within a short amount of time the engine will begin to "cut out", sputter, and die - just like what happens when you run out of gas. I can restart the engine but the issue continues.

I went on and put a new plug in and made the fuel line and filter werent clogged. Put a new filter in just in case.

I have heard that sometime she fuel shut off solenoid will stick or stop working so I plan to test it next. I also read that sometimes the ignition unit can become defective but I dont know where it is or how to test.

Thanks for everyones help!

metz12

Threads
Its a ground in the kill switch wire. when you jump back to start it hits some sort of metal on the frame or whatever. If it is then there should be some sort of break in the wire where theres some sort of plastic thing with ears on it connecting it to the engine. It happened on my yard machines when i went around a left turn or turned the blades on. hope that helps!:laughing:

If you have any more questions about it then feel free to ask!

DaveTN

Threads
I have a Craftsman 46' 20HP lawn tractor that is having an odd issue. The mower will start without a problem and run for a few minutes but once you increase load (Speed or blades) it starts to hesitate/sputters and dies. It will start back up but the problem continues.

I have replaces the plug and filters just in case. Could this be a fuel shut off solenoid problem? Ignition? How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh
I worked on a Sears 14HP riding mower last year. It would start up, idle ok. Put it under a load and it would die. Let it sit there for 5 minutes or so and it would start up and do the same thing. It had one of those carburetors that had the float, needle, inlet and all in the BOWL area and snapped up to the gasket and pickup tube on the bottom of the carburetor. I hate that design! Anyway it was a fuel starvation problem. A tiny piece of plastic was partially covering the fuel inlet hole in the bottom of the bowl where the drain plug screws in. It was a clear piece and very difficult to detect even after I looked at it several times and thought it was ok. I finally ran a stiff wire through it and saw the plastic pop out on the other side. Re-assembled it and it ran great and still is. Could be some blockage coming from the filter into the carburetor or perhaps above the needle and seat area. You might also try and enrich the mixture screw. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

metz12

Threads
I worked on a Sears 14HP riding mower last year. It would start up, idle ok. Put it under a load and it would die. Let it sit there for 5 minutes or so and it would start up and do the same thing. It had one of those carburetors that had the float, needle, inlet and all in the BOWL area and snapped up to the gasket and pickup tube on the bottom of the carburetor. I hate that design! Anyway it was a fuel starvation problem. A tiny piece of plastic was partially covering the fuel inlet hole in the bottom of the bowl where the drain plug screws in. It was a clear piece and very difficult to detect even after I looked at it several times and thought it was ok. I finally ran a stiff wire through it and saw the plastic pop out on the other side. Re-assembled it and it ran great and still is. Could be some blockage coming from the filter into the carburetor or perhaps above the needle and seat area. You might also try and enrich the mixture screw. Hope this helps.

the same thing happened to my generator in 2011. there was a huge hole in the float and that plastcipiece was no where to be seen. and guess what? its a craftsman generator too.

jefftinker

Threads
I have a craftsman-Kohler 16.5hr OHV model CV16S-43527 in runs well but when I put a load on it by putting it in gear or engaging the blades it stalls out.
I have already replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines and calibrator but it still stall's out under a load. what can it be now?

AVB

Threads
Will need the mower's model from the serial number tag. Depending on the wiring setup it may be a safety that is the problem.