JD L111 is making a whining noise

Huskergasman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently noticed a whining noise coming from the rear end of my L111 mower. It goes away when I press the brake and the fan stops spinning. Is my transmission going bad?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I would check. First is the a build up of debris on the top of the hydro unit which is contacting the fan. Second check the hydro fluid level.

chance123

Threads
Sounds a little like hydro fluid restriction. Do you have a hydraulic oil filter on your machine? If so, change it along with new oil.

Huskergasman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The unit is sealed, no place to check or change fluid. I looked at it in the manual. There was no info in there on troubleshooting the drive either. Is there a bearing on the fan that can go bad? The fan is clear of debris. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time the drive belt was changed?

Huskergasman

Forum Newbie
Threads
No idea, got it used this summer. Looks good though. That would probably be the cheapest place to start. Is there a way to attach a recording of the noise?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just went to YouTube and listened to the video. I don't think it is a transmission problem. It sounds to me like the idler pulley on the belt tensioner is bad. You'll need a second body. Have someone sit on the seat (deck must be off) and have them depress the brake pedal while you look underneath to locate the tensioner pulley. After you have located it, have them hold the pedal down while you check the pulley. It should turn freely and there should be no wobble. Post what you find.

chance123

Threads
Good news! It's not a hydro problem. Like others said, it's more than likely a pulley