motor blowing white smoke-HELP!!!

bkm48198

Threads
My old motor died so I got a used 17hp Briggs and put it on my tractor, I got it wired and it fired right up but after running for a few mins. it started blowing out white smoke and died, it started back up but then started blowing smoke again........what should I check on the motor? It was dark out when I got it running and pulled it into the backyard so I haven't had a chance to get a good look at the motor to see if there is anything visable as to why it started smoking, I just parked it and came in. I did have to swap out the carb from my old 13hp motor because the one on the 17hp motor was flooding out the engine. The motor in it now is a Briggs 310707 0137 E1....I did get the motor for free from someone that said it was good, it had been sitting for a long time and not ran. Any help would be appreciated.

Threads
My old motor died so I got a used 17hp Briggs and put it on my tractor, I got it wired and it fired right up but after running for a few mins. it started blowing out white smoke and died, it started back up but then started blowing smoke again........what should I check on the motor? It was dark out when I got it running and pulled it into the backyard so I haven't had a chance to get a good look at the motor to see if there is anything visable as to why it started smoking, I just parked it and came in. I did have to swap out the carb from my old 13hp motor because the one on the 17hp motor was flooding out the engine. The motor in it now is a Briggs 310707 0137 E1....I did get the motor for free from someone that said it was good, it had been sitting for a long time and not ran. Any help would be appreciated.

White smoke usually is caused by water or moisture where it shouldn't be. Here is a thread that might help you:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/exmark-forum/10571-white-smoke-turf-tracer.html

bkm48198

Threads
The gas was fine a week ago when the other motor died, it ran good till it started blowing oil out the block and it never smoked at all, it just quit running. The new motor ran fine till it warmed up then started smoking, just wondering if valves might need adjusting or something like that, could a breather tube be clogged or fuel pump be a problem? I don't know much about small engines, car engines I know, lawnmowers are not something I have dealt with much.

bkm48198

Threads
I just read another thread that says it could be from fuel in the oil, I know the old carb was pouring gas into the cyld. and causing it to flood out and fill the motor so the spark plug had to be removed to blow fuel out of the motor. I'll try changing the oil tomorrow and see if that helps.

slammed

Threads
I just read another thread that says it could be from fuel in the oil, I know the old carb was pouring gas into the cyld. and causing it to flood out and fill the motor so the spark plug had to be removed to blow fuel out of the motor. I'll try changing the oil tomorrow and see if that helps.

Let us know what you find.

bkm48198

Threads
After changing the oil and cleaning the plug it started up and blew out a lot of smoke, as it heated up the smoke got to be less and less until it quit smoking. I ran it for about 45 mins. picking up leaves and it seemed to be fine. I shut it off and restarted it a few mins. later with no smoke and running fine. The carb could use some fine tuning since it was taken off a smaller motor but it was running good, actually ran better under a load than it did without the blades spinning. :smile:

bkm48198

Threads
After changing the oil and cleaning the plug it started up and blew out a lot of smoke, as it heated up the smoke got to be less and less until it quit smoking. I ran it for about 45 mins. picking up leaves and it seemed to be fine. I shut it off and restarted it a few mins. later with no smoke and running fine. The carb could use some fine tuning since it was taken off a smaller motor but it was running good, actually ran better under a load than it did without the blades spinning. :smile:

Threads

I'm glad it's back and running! :thumbsup::smile:

chance123

Threads
After you changed the oil and fired it up, that smoke you saw was no doubt oil that was deposited in your muffler before the oil change.