Compression tester

jakesmurray

Threads
What compression tester would you guys recommend for small engines?

scott47429

Threads
i just use one form O'Rileys auto parts store you don't need to spend hundreds on one from some place like snap on

jakesmurray

Threads
Wow, but I was looking for a more precise way! :laughing:

chance123

Threads
I recommend you get one with a check valve built in (to save the reading) Also get one with adaptors for 14mm deep & short, as well as the smaller adaptors for line trimmers,Chain saws, blowers etc that use smaller than 14mm spk plg holes. I have heard good things about Harbor Freight's comp testor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nothing wrong with Snap-on tools, you get what you pay for. I have had my snap-on compress gauge for year. Top quality tools will last a life time if take care of. Just like buying a top brand mower or a cheap mower they both cut grass. I also have a cheaper compression gauge I bought at a lawn sale but it doesn't fit everything or work as well.

scott47429

Threads
this is true if you was going to do this for a living i would say buy a snap on but if your a home owner and doing this once every few years why spend the money

chance123

Threads
this is true if you was going to do this for a living i would say buy a snap on but if your a home owner and doing this once every few years why spend the money

+1 I agree. I got a set of open end wrenches from Harbor Freight that go from 1" to 2" that I "rarely" ever use. Snap-on was over $300.00, Harbor Frt. $40.00. No brainer. On a side note I had a Snap-on blue point 1/2" impact gun that lasted 3 months. I returned it and got a replacement, and it lasted only 2 months before it too failed. When "that" one failed, I was in the middle of a repair and needed one ASAP so I went to Har frt and have been using it day in and day out for the last 3 years and it is still going strong. In a busy shop things get lost , forgotten on a machine, stolen, or just misplaced. I would rather have this happen to an inexpensive wrench than the alternative. I do however have good quality test meter, borescope, hydraulic flow pressure gages and mig, tig and gas welding equipment. for things that are critical.