Placement of Snow Fence

AndyMan

Threads
Our first winter in the snowy north we thought we were supposed to place our snow fence along the driveway. BIG MISTAKE! The wind would blow the snow up level with the fence, and we shoveled more that year than any other.

Anyone have any tips for snow fencing?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our first winter in the snowy north we thought we were supposed to place our snow fence along the driveway. BIG MISTAKE! The wind would blow the snow up level with the fence, and we shoveled more that year than any other.

Anyone have any tips for snow fencing?

We live on top of a hill, and ther farmland directly west and north of us is open in the winter. Our main driveway runs west to east, and when the wind comes from the west it piles snow in front of the garage. Obviously a snow fence that would break the wind from that direction would also block our driveway. I have always thought they are more bother than they are worth, myself.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have to set a snow fence back away from your road way... even then if it snows and the wind blows enough it can get you....

Snow starts building up on the back side of a snow fence... not the side that the wind is coming from... so if you don't have enough space to allow the build up... You are just causing yourself a drift problem... :smile:KennyV

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I think they are worth it, but only if you don't mind plowing the snow a lot of the time. Yes, it can get annoying but don't you think it's better than having your garage or sidewalk blocked? I sure do.

Green Girl

Threads
I think the idea behind a snow fence is for it to be placed in a windy location. Rather than the wind drifting the snow where you don't want it, the wind blows the snow into the fence, and when it hits the fence, the snow drops and drifts behind the fence instead of where you don't want the drifting.

tinmiaqpak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Snow fence can make all the difference in how much snow you have to move. It should be 50% porous (have holes in it) and should be placed 30 to 35 times the height away from the road or drive way. a four foot tall fence would be placed 120 to 140 feet back. Great research is at : http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/shrp/SHRP-H-320.pdf

great luck with the snow battle