Robert's Honda (light mods)

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a two-year old HRX. It's about the best mower I've ever used, and I love the ability to mulch and bag (or in between) with a flip of the Clip Director knob. The cut quality is stunning on both the Fescue in the backyard and Bermuda in the front. Of course, I'm a little biased about Honda stuff...:biggrin:

attachment.php

Anyway, I made a couple of mods to improve the ergonomics a bit. First, moved the starter rope off the handlebar where it was getting caught on shrubs and fencing, and then replaced the small, plastic recoil starter grip with an older, larger, rubber grip with a metal support. Much easier and more solid grip when starting, especially if wearing gloves. Being down on the recoil starter means it's not going to snag, either.

attachment.php

Last summer, I helped one of my sons restore an old Schwinn 10-speed. We put padded cork wrap on the handlebars, and I was amazed at the comfort and grip this made. So, I got some more and wrapped all the levers on the HRX. It helps a great deal and cuts down on the vibrations to your hands. Easy, inexpensive, and really works.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hrx_1.jpg
    hrx_1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 411
  • hrx_2.jpg
    hrx_2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 524
  • hrx_3.jpg
    hrx_3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 400

bwdbrn1

Threads
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does modifications to their Hondas.:biggrin:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert, Excellent modifications on your mower, not only for aestetics but for functionality as well. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one more mod, but it's involved. Any tips would be appreciated.

A few years ago, Honda adopted an ANSI standard that lengthen the handlebars. I suspect it was to give a little more space between the operator and the spinning blades, even though all mowers are supposed to not permit an operator to get anywhere near the blades when moving.

I've found it's a bit too long, and makes it hard turn turn the mower, so want to shorten the handlebar maybe 6" or so. It's a hollow tube, with flattened tips to allow the bolts and quick-release knob to work. Not sure how to remove 6", as I don't weld. Ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• hrx handlebar.jpg
    hrx handlebar.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 361

bwdbrn1

Threads
Are the handles for the HRM/HRB215 series shorter? Would it be possible to obtain the upper and lower handles to one of them, transfer the controls from yours to the upper handle, and not have to alter the one you have? That would also give the the ability to fold the handle for storage.

Another possibility would be to determine the inside diameter of the handle pipes you have. Find a pipe that has the same outside diameter at the inside diameter of the handle you have. Cut two lengths of that pipe, maybe a foot long each, then cut 6" out of the handle on the mower. Insert the two pipes into the ends of the handle, drill holes through them all at a couple of places below and above the point they come together, and put bolts with lock nuts through the to hold the sections securely so they won't separate.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mower service engineer says the longer length was indeed an ANSI standard to move the operator's hands father away from the blades.

Because of the quick-release fittings, the current HRX handle is the only one that would fit okay. So no swap, I'd have to modify the original.

Shortening the handlebar would require three shorter cables too, clutch, blade, and throttle :-(

If I though it would weld okay, I'd be tempted to cut out 6" of each side, then find a slightly larger sleeve to re-connect them. Like when a plumber cuts out a cracked copper pipe and uses sleeves and a new pipe to solder it all back together.

Then try and shorten the cables. Not sure it's worth it.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Hmmm....well, how about the lower handle stays that attach to the deck. Could the ones from the HRM/HRB be used, or is the HRX deck different at those mounting points? If the handle stays would fit, then you could use the upper and lower handles from an HRM/HRB.

Would the cables pose that much of a problem if they weren't shortened? Or, if the handles from an HRM/HRB can be used, could those cables work too?

Threads
Last summer, I helped one of my sons restore an old Schwinn 10-speed. We put padded cork wrap on the handlebars, and I was amazed at the comfort and grip this made. So, I got some more and wrapped all the levers on the HRX. It helps a great deal and cuts down on the vibrations to your hands. Easy, inexpensive, and really works.

I'm tempted to do something like this on my Honda because it has been cold out lately, and I realized the one thing my Honda HRR is better than my HRX is that it has a padded handle! And rubber is less cold than metal! My hands were freezing! Yes I know I could wear gloves, but I like customizing better! :thumbsup: