Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Honda

Robert's Honda (light mods)

I have a two-year old HRX. It's about the best mower I've ever used, and I love the ability to mulch and bag (or in between) with a flip of the Clip Director knob. The cut quality is stunning on both the Fescue in the backyard and Bermuda in the front. Of course, I'm a little biased about Honda stuff...

Anyway, I made a couple of mods to improve the ergonomics a bit. First, moved the starter rope off the handlebar where it was getting caught on shrubs and fencing, and then replaced the small, plastic recoil starter grip with an older, larger, rubber grip with a metal support. Much easier and more solid grip when starting, especially if wearing gloves. Being down on the recoil starter means it's not going to snag, either.

Last summer, I helped one of my sons restore an old Schwinn 10-speed. We put padded cork wrap on the handlebars, and I was amazed at the comfort and grip this made. So, I got some more and wrapped all the levers on the HRX. It helps a great deal and cuts down on the vibrations to your hands. Easy, inexpensive, and really works.

Attached Images Attached Images
    - - -
    Robert@Honda
    Social Media Consigliere
    Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Mower
    Ventrac 4231TD

Re: Robert's Honda (light mods)

Nice mods.

5,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Two Honda HRX217HYA's and an HRR216TDA

AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing!!
    2013 4x6 custom utility trailer
    Honda HRX217(3)HYA mower
    Honda HRX217(5)HYA mower
    Honda HRR216TDA mower
    Echo SRM-225 trimmer
    Echo GT-2100 trimmer
    Echo PB-770T backpack blower
    Echo PB-255LN handheld blower
    Echo PE-225 edger
    Craftsman 24" 179cc dual-stage snow blower
    Black and Decker 22" electric hedge trimmer

Mower
    Honda, Vintage Jacobsen

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does modifications to their Hondas.

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Push & self propelled, lawn & garden tractors

Hi Robert, Excellent modifications on your mower, not only for aestetics but for functionality as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Craftsman LT 11HP 36", PowerPro 12HP 38", Dynamark 12HP 39", Craftsman II 12HP 40", Yard Machines 15.5HP 42", Huskee 18HP Twin 46", Murray 18HP Twin 46", 1978 Montgomery Ward 16HP Twin
    Snapper S/P 3.5HP 21", Murray S/P 4HP 21", Craftsman S/P 4HP 21", Snapper S/P 4HP 21",

"A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule."
    Michael Pollan

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Honda

I have one more mod, but it's involved. Any tips would be appreciated.

A few years ago, Honda adopted an ANSI standard that lengthen the handlebars. I suspect it was to give a little more space between the operator and the spinning blades, even though all mowers are supposed to not permit an operator to get anywhere near the blades when moving.

I've found it's a bit too long, and makes it hard turn turn the mower, so want to shorten the handlebar maybe 6" or so. It's a hollow tube, with flattened tips to allow the bolts and quick-release knob to work. Not sure how to remove 6", as I don't weld. Ideas?

Attached Images Attached Images
    - - -
    Robert@Honda
    Social Media Consigliere

Mower
    Honda, Vintage Jacobsen

Are the handles for the HRM/HRB215 series shorter? Would it be possible to obtain the upper and lower handles to one of them, transfer the controls from yours to the upper handle, and not have to alter the one you have? That would also give the the ability to fold the handle for storage.

Another possibility would be to determine the inside diameter of the handle pipes you have. Find a pipe that has the same outside diameter at the inside diameter of the handle you have. Cut two lengths of that pipe, maybe a foot long each, then cut 6" out of the handle on the mower. Insert the two pipes into the ends of the handle, drill holes through them all at a couple of places below and above the point they come together, and put bolts with lock nuts through the to hold the sections securely so they won't separate.

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Honda

The mower service engineer says the longer length was indeed an ANSI standard to move the operator's hands father away from the blades.

Because of the quick-release fittings, the current HRX handle is the only one that would fit okay. So no swap, I'd have to modify the original.

Shortening the handlebar would require three shorter cables too, clutch, blade, and throttle :-(

If I though it would weld okay, I'd be tempted to cut out 6" of each side, then find a slightly larger sleeve to re-connect them. Like when a plumber cuts out a cracked copper pipe and uses sleeves and a new pipe to solder it all back together.

Then try and shorten the cables. Not sure it's worth it.
    - - -
    Robert@Honda
    Social Media Consigliere

Mower
    Honda, Vintage Jacobsen

Hmmm....well, how about the lower handle stays that attach to the deck. Could the ones from the HRM/HRB be used, or is the HRX deck different at those mounting points? If the handle stays would fit, then you could use the upper and lower handles from an HRM/HRB.

Would the cables pose that much of a problem if they weren't shortened? Or, if the handles from an HRM/HRB can be used, could those cables work too?

5,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Two Honda HRX217HYA's and an HRR216TDA

Quote Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
    Last summer, I helped one of my sons restore an old Schwinn 10-speed. We put padded cork wrap on the handlebars, and I was amazed at the comfort and grip this made. So, I got some more and wrapped all the levers on the HRX. It helps a great deal and cuts down on the vibrations to your hands. Easy, inexpensive, and really works.
    I'm tempted to do something like this on my Honda because it has been cold out lately, and I realized the one thing my Honda HRR is better than my HRX is that it has a padded handle! And rubber is less cold than metal! My hands were freezing! Yes I know I could wear gloves, but I like customizing better!
    2013 4x6 custom utility trailer
    Honda HRX217(3)HYA mower
    Honda HRX217(5)HYA mower
    Honda HRR216TDA mower
    Echo SRM-225 trimmer
    Echo GT-2100 trimmer
    Echo PB-770T backpack blower
    Echo PB-255LN handheld blower
    Echo PE-225 edger
    Craftsman 24" 179cc dual-stage snow blower
    Black and Decker 22" electric hedge trimmer