Mower deck Mule drive belt won't stay on my GH 220?

schmidtsm

Threads
I have a 2007 220 48" that just broke the mule drive belt (382079). Or the belt that comes off the PTO clutch and powers the mower deck. The guy I bought it from had an extra so he must have realized it was time to replace. I double checked the lenght and it is for the mule drive.

I put it on a couple of time per the instruction and it keeps coming off. I have the proper 1/4 turn per the instructions but i can't seem to figuer out why it keeps coming off. If there are any newbee mistakes that are common please let me know.

Thanks!

schmidtsm

Threads
I tried it a third time and after inspecting the belt I realized that it is now damaged. If anyone has any advice it would be helpful. Should the right adjuster pulley be all the way to the top (less tension)? Not sure if it was too tight and that is why it was fling off.

schmidtsm

Threads
It is hard to believe that no one out there has any ideas. I checked the adjustable pulley and it has a slight bend on one side. It is the outside of the pulley therefore i guess it could slip off. Could it slip off if it was too tight?

Please if anyone has ideas please help. I don't want to have to play trial and error with a 90.00 belt.

Thanks,

Shane

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you make sure the belt was inside of all the belt guides. Make sure the belt does not rub on anything. Does it have a twist in it after you put it on. Are all the belt guides in place.

Look at everything and see if you can see a shiny spot where the belt could have been rubbing

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the bend on the pulley towards to inside or outside of the pulley? If towards to inside it could throw the belt off.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
An alignment problem is often the culprit when belts won't stay on . Pictured is an extreme case where the idler bracket mounting area was worn real bad . The pulley looked in alignment with the other pulleys when no tension was present but when observed with belt tension it was off several degrees . This is only one possibility and usually found on older high mileage mowers .

Attachments

• Murray Idler Bracket mount hole -2-28-07.jpg
    Murray Idler Bracket mount hole -2-28-07.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 17

schmidtsm

Threads
Is the bend on the pulley towards to inside or outside of the pulley? If towards to inside it could throw the belt off.

The bend it on outside so it could be throwing it off. I will plan on replacing this pulley as it is on 35.00.

But what about tension? I reread the manual and it stated that for new belts it pulley on the right that has the adjustment bolt should be moved so that it has tension. Maybe my thinking was incorrect to put tension on it because it wouldn't stay on when PTO was engaged. Therefore, i put some tension on it (moved the pulley down about 2/3") then tested it out. As soon as i put the PTO on it broke the belt. This belt had a large nick on one side. Next

After i replace the pulley and new belt i will position the pulley in the no tension setting. I will look for the shiney or bare spots.

thanks

schmidtsm

Threads
Did you make sure the belt was inside of all the belt guides. Make sure the belt does not rub on anything. Does it have a twist in it after you put it on. Are all the belt guides in place.

Look at everything and see if you can see a shiny spot where the belt could have been rubbing

I attached a picture of my 48" deck which has one guide. I am currious that it has holes to have another guide but it doesn't look like there was ever one installed. Does anyone have a duramax 48" that can verify that there is only one guide for the mule belt. I looked at the manuel and only saw one. IMG_2041.jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the belt is on wrong it should sit inside that guide and is the belt touching it self being that close to the pulley

schmidtsm

Threads
Looks like the belt is on wrong it should sit inside that guide and is the belt touching it self being that close to the pulley

The mule belt isn't on in this piture. I broke two of them and I am waiting for the Grasshopper dealer to get me a new one. The pulley in the front is where the mule belt will spin the deck blades. The mule blet will go around the pulley in the front then go to the back of the mower and under that guard in the picture.