Repairs Craftsman LT1000 Model 917.272670 has suddenly stopped running

YardDogg`

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 Model 917.272670 has suddenly stopped running
...And I've suddenly ran out of patience!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::mad:

Hello from the "FNG" GA-Boy! Please accept my humble thanks for having me!
I'm looking forward to utilizing this site often as well as assisting you all with whatever it is that I am confident in my ability to help you with. I have over 15 yrs in ther lawn industry and as simple as this may seem, it's been tearing at me for many days now.

My mom loves that fact that she still gets out there and mows the yard (3acres) once a week in the growing season! Just last weekend, we were visiting and she was very upset that her Craftsman LT1000 Lawn Tractor (Model #917.272670) w/17.5 Craftsman/B&S IC OHV 42" unit was not running and she is absolutely certain that there's not anything she could've done wrong to cause it to turn over but not fire and run normally.

MY evaluation of the unit is as follows:

1). Battery was dated Sept. 04 -- installed new battery with equal amount of CCA's

2). Spark plug was DONE (i Mean, when I pulled it out, the porcelin crumbled in my hand) -- replaced w/ same type but new and checked the gap

3). Spark Plug wire was nice and crispy from being located too close to the exhaust so, --- replaced the wire and wrapped wire in DEI Header Heat Shield tape to prevent this same failure in the future.

4). After pulling the main cover off which allowed me access to the actual "Motor" I noticed that this engine could not breathe.

5). Removed all debris from the exterior engine cooling fins and from underneath, other areas in close proximity of the Engine.

6). sprayed the block down with engine degreaser then rinsed very briefly to cleanse the exterior and the under carriage.

7). Removed all debris from the transaxle area via the access point under the seat.

8). Checked all levers, springs, hinges, pulleys, and thoroughly cleaned as best I could

9). Finally, I greased all the grease fittings (total of four that I could find) and drained the fuel tank to clean.

10). eight hours later and a very pissed off wife, the mower still wouldn't run only sputtering, popping, and smoke coming from the air cleaner/filter location.\

What I found after removing the air intake and carb ass'y, was that there was fuel in the air intake tube and on the spark plug, (probably from trying to start it numerous times).

So, my mom's still upset, I'm in the dog house with no scooby snacks (if ya know what I mean) and cannot find a decent, detailed diagram of the carbaretor and the air intake assemblies. Any assistance, direction, criticisms, weird analogies, and the like would be greatly appreciated!

Jon Y.
Jefferson, GA

Last edited:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Re: Hello from the "FNG" GA-Boy! Please accept my humble thanks for having me!

Hi John and WELCOME to the forum!!! Glad you signed up and hopefully some of our Craftsman experts will chime in with some info on your question. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:welcome:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that one of the briggs engines with a fuel pump?

triniphen

Threads

rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have the same mower, had the same problem. We would mow for an hour or so, then it would just stop. Took it 2 different times for service, went through the whole fuel system. It kept doing it. We mentioned the problem to a farmer friend, who told us to LOOSEN THE GAS CAP. We just tighten it till there is some resistance. If the mower ever starts to hesitate, we just loosen of the cap, and we haven't had a problem since.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Your note talks about what you've done but does not give us any diagnostic information.

Was this mower running normally before the problem?

Did the problem happen all at once, or were there intermittent engine problems?

When you say it suddenly stopped running, do you mean one minute it was completely normal and the next it stopped dead and was not running?

Start with the basics:
Suck-Bang-Blow/fuel-compression-spark
1) Will it crank? (If no, check all safety switches for failure; seat, mower engage, etc.)

2) get a 1/4" bolt and stick in the spark plug wire and then position it just off the block or at any ground point. Crank the engine. Is there a spark from the end of the bolt to the block? If yes, move to step 3.

3) fuel, is fuel reaching the combustion chamber. The easiest way to determine this is to get a windex bottle and put gas in it and then shoot two or three squirts directly into the carburetor with the air cleaner removed. If its getting spark and fuel, it will give a little fart or run even if briefly.

4) Compression: if you remove the spark plug and then put it back in with only a partial turn of the first thread - just enough to hold it - can you hear it hiss as you crank it over? If it ate a valve, then it won't make any compression.

liamtels

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have the same mower, had the same problem. We would mow for an hour or so, then it would just stop. Took it 2 different times for service, went through the whole fuel system. It kept doing it. We mentioned the problem to a farmer friend, who told us to LOOSEN THE GAS CAP. We just tighten it till there is some resistance. If the mower ever starts to hesitate, we just loosen of the cap, and we haven't had a problem since.
I found the problem to be,,,,a clogged gas cap,,,it has to be cleaned on both sides as the holes dont line up