Cub Cadet?

Ken Fountain

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking for a new mower and I think I have decided to buy a 1040 Cub Cadet. This mower
has a Kohler 19 h.p. engine. My question is does anybody here have any opinions or information they
might like to share eith pro or con? Thanks in advance for your input.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am looking for a new mower and I think I have decided to buy a 1040 Cub Cadet. This mower
has a Kohler 19 h.p. engine. My question is does anybody here have any opinions or information they

Question, is it for personal use or are you thinking of mowing a few more lawns other than your own. I ask because I owned the cc 1045 for two years with the 20 h.p. Kohler and at the time was mowing 10 yards a week plus my own and never had a problem with the mower other than it wasn't fast enough. Other than that it's a great mower.

Last edited:

asiam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced my 13.5 horse Murray with a Cub LTX1042 (19 horse Kolar and Hydo trans) this spring. My yard is about .75 acre and takes about an hour and a half to mow, cutting time from the murray's two and a half hours. I think I will be happy with it, but have only used it 3 times. The price was a bit steep for a tightwad like me, $1,600.00 plus tax, but I bought it from a Cub dealer instead of a box store. If there are problems I cannot take care of, hopefully they will be easier to work with than if I bought it from the box store and then took it to them. My Murray has been abused for about 13 years, so if the cub holds up accordingly, it may be the last mower I buy. It rides so rough I call it Teddy Roosevelt. I have considered letting some air out of the tires, but due to the fact it was prepared by professionals, will not do so without checking with them.

btravelstead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought the same cub for use at our school about 3 weeks ago, Ive no problems with it. Have about 50hrs. It turns so sharp and is easy to mow in reverse. Bill

mamaA

Threads
We have a CC and unfortunately we have had lots of small problems with it. Everything from the engine missing to the blades not overlapping enough to cut ALL the grass the mower goes over. While I know many people love CC mowers we will probably not buy another one.

j_kuss

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had an older, smaller CC given to me because the owner never could get it to run right.
After rebuilding the carb and replacing the air bleed screw I could not get it to run right either.
It will choke down when hitting difficult areas and will even stop if no choke is applied.
Not sure what the problem is but suspect it is because the fuel tank is not very high above the carb. Since this mower has gravity fuel feed I feel the motor is being fuel starved.
Probably needs some sort of fuel pump.

j.kuss

p.s. I gave the mower to a neighbor, and boy is he frustrated!

jet62095

Threads

I currently own a 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1040 with the same 19HP Kohler.
I have no complaints about this machine, it's plenty powerful, the 42" deck will cut anything (even wet grass) and it's very fuel effcient. It's also very quiet for a small engine product. I would say buy it, the build quality is far superior to any comprable machines on the market today.
Best of Luck!
Jet

RockHound

Threads
I am not a big fan of the Cub Cadet but then it's all personal preference We had a Cub and didn't have too much trouble with it, it was just really slow. I have about 3 acres to mow between my mother's lots and my son's yard too. I finally am looking at something else that would give me a little quicker mowing time.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not a big fan of the Cub Cadet but then We had a Cub and didn't have too much trouble with it, it was just really slow. I have about 3 acres to mow between my mother's lots and my son's yard too. I finally am looking at something else that would give me a little quicker mowing time.

As you say it's all personal preference but I find that most of the lawn tractors are slow that was the reason I sold the CC 1045 and purchased the Cub Cadet Z-force ZTR, it cut my mowing times in half. If you wait until the new models come out and you get lucky you can pick up a last years model at pretty decent price.

cwmdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
We replaced an aging Dixon with a Cub Cadet ZTT (Zero Turn Tractor) I1050 with a Kohler 25 HP twin cly. this spring. The smartest thing I have done in a while. It might not turn as sharp as a full ZTR, but it has a lower center of gravity, which is a plus for us with some side hills. Have not found anything it will not cut. With a 50 cut I feel it is as fast if not faster than a mower that has a larger deck. Vary happy with it.