Mower deck In need of help repairing idler pulley bolt (pics)

Chowder Head

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, a while ago my idler pulley bolt on my riding mower got loose and bent the other way which caused the idle pulley to wobble from side to side, which started to shred some belts. So I took the deck off, beat the bolt back straight with a hammer, and applied JB weld all around the seams. It worked at first, then when mowing the whole pulley fell off the deck, bolt included.

So now I'm looking at a hole where the bolt was and I'm not too sure what to do. Should I try to get a new bolt with a bushing since it has to slide into the pulley? Should I just try to spot weld the old bolt back on? I was also thinking just drill it out the next size up and thread a new bigger bolt in there. Only thing I'm not sure about is how to have a bushing on top the idler pulley rest on. If there's anything else I might be able to do without a welder please let me know since I would actually have to have someone weld it for me since I don't have one. Without further ado, the pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any replies would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Threads
I can't see your pics....I don't know if others can.:frown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Post your pictures using the "Manage attachments" link below the reply to thread link...

Also include the JohnDeere model and deck size, you are working on... :smile:KennyV

Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Post your pictures using the "Manage attachments" link below the reply to thread link...

Also include the JohnDeere model and deck size, you are working on... :smile:KennyV

Yes, you can click this button also to do it:
adding attachments.jpg
I hope you solve your problem!
-lmf

slammed

Threads
Hey guys, a while ago my idler pulley bolt on my riding mower got loose and bent the other way which caused the idle pulley to wobble from side to side, which started to shred some belts. So I took the deck off, beat the bolt back straight with a hammer, and applied JB weld all around the seams. It worked at first, then when mowing the whole pulley fell off the deck, bolt included.

So now I'm looking at a hole where the bolt was and I'm not too sure what to do. Should I try to get a new bolt with a bushing since it has to slide into the pulley? Should I just try to spot weld the old bolt back on? I was also thinking just drill it out the next size up and thread a new bigger bolt in there. Only thing I'm not sure about is how to have a bushing on top the idler pulley rest on. If there's anything else I might be able to do without a welder please let me know since I would actually have to have someone weld it for me since I don't have one. Without further ado, the pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any replies would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

CAN'T SEE PICS:frown:

Chowder Head

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys sorry about that! I uploaded the pics via attachment, hopefully you can see them now.

The model I have is a Scotts manufactured by John Deer, with the Kohler 17.5 horsepower engine. Part number is L17.542, under Scotts I believe. The deck is 42in.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1040781.jpg
    P1040781.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 48
  • P1040782.jpg
    P1040782.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 57
  • P1040784.jpg
    P1040784.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 62

slammed

Threads
Hey guys sorry about that! I uploaded the pics via attachment, hopefully you can see them now.

The model I have is a Scotts manufactured by John Deer, with the Kohler 17.5 horsepower engine. Part number is L17.542, under Scotts I believe. The deck is 42in.

Thanks!

The way it looks you could get another bolt the same size and some bigger washers and fix it. Just make it like a metal sandwich (big washer deck big washer) then bolt eveything back the way it was.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
slammed has outlined a good fix... other than that you need to weld a steel plate in there. :smile:KennyV

Chowder Head

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only thing I'm not grasping is what do I do about the bearing the pulley rests on? The second pictures shows a good shot of it, it's the smaller bearing piece that's above the one covered in what looks like the brown goop located at the base of the bolt. The bolt itself is smaller than the pulley and the only way the pulley rests and can spin is because of that bearing. If I just have a bolt sticking straight up, it'll probably be too small in diameter anyway and even if it isn't, I'm guessing the threads spinning around the pulley would eventually cause some damage over time.

Any tips about that? Hopefully my explanation made sense ha. Thanks again everyone!

slammed

Threads
The only thing I'm not grasping is what do I do about the bearing the pulley rests on? The second pictures shows a good shot of it, it's the smaller bearing piece that's above the one covered in what looks like the brown goop located at the base of the bolt. The bolt itself is smaller than the pulley and the only way the pulley rests and can spin is because of that bearing. If I just have a bolt sticking straight up, it'll probably be too small in diameter anyway and even if it isn't, I'm guessing the threads spinning around the pulley would eventually cause some damage over time.

Any tips about that? Hopefully my explanation made sense ha. Thanks again everyone!

Well as I said before you get a new bolt and bigger washers but a washer on the bolt run it through the deck then put the other washer on top of the deck then put the bearings or bushings back in the order they are in in the pic back on the bolt.