craftsman trimmer throttle problem

triniphen

Threads
Hello, I have a craftsman 358.797150-32cc trimmer, actually i have 3, and they all seem to have the same trouble. On carburetor reinstall, the throttle cable seems to crack the butterfly and progressively increase the throttle beyond idle. I've repositioned the trigger, lubed the cable sheath, wiggled and finessed it all I can but it still does it. The cable part # is 530-037498_B any ideas?

Attachments

• lawnequip-craftsmantrimmer003-1.jpg
    lawnequip-craftsmantrimmer003-1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 14

briggs

Threads
what happens if you back that screw off a little wont that close the blade a little

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2651.jpg
    1-IMG_2651.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 6

Manny

Threads
I honestly don't have an answer to that, but I do have a question - why would you buy 3 if they all have the same problem?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not at all familiar with this trimmer but I'd like to suggest you inspect the mechanism that retracts the throttle or thottle cable. There is somthing that brings the throttle back to closed position, a spring perhaps. I would check it and see if the is any dirt or debris getting trapped in ther, or maybe some other reason it is not working properly.

triniphen

Threads
No dirt, I cleaned and oiled the hell out of everything, no return spring, but that would be a simple mod. Idle screw adjustment doesn't help. If i press the butterfly lever to idle position and then release, I can watch the cable pull the throttle open to about 2/3rds. An impromptu cruise control, if you will.

I have so many because i bought a lot of assorted trimmers and blowers for $125 ... for fun :rolleyes:. It just happened the lot had items that were identical to equipment I already had, and knew they would kick butt if I could get them to work. So the Craftsman model I have 3 of.

My original model had a thinner braided cable than the others, perhaps part of the problem. The thicker cable has more spring and tension force, plus the sharp bend the sheath has to take to get to the carb.

Again a dremel and small spring would be a simple mod. However if you have ever shopped for springs, deciphering all of the tech characteristics are a pita.

pics... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v320/triniphen/lawn equip/

triniphen

Threads
As for the trimmers, you can see 2 engine types, top tank or bottom tank. I've dug through all sorts of part sites and it seems all top tank have similar design, as well as the bottom tank types. So my plan when I bought this stuff was:

a - I'm a tinker and a pack-rat and cant resist a good deal :rolleyes:
b - To provide a free trimmer to a friend
c - to motorize a bicycle for fun
d - small generator perhaps
e - create a small monster machine :biggrin:
f - to run one on nitromethane and see if it blows up :biggrin:

So for the past two weeks, I've been squirting ether into the combustion chambers to see if they will pop and sorting into piles.