Advice on Self-propelled

dgl24087

Threads
I have a small lawn and have been mowing with push mowers for over 20 years. I'm looking to get a self propelled mower for next season, and most stores around me are discounting right now. I'm stuck over which type is better, rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. I've looked at Honda, JD, Troy Bilt, Toro, Snapper and Sears. The thing that bothers me most is that all of the self propelled units I have looked at, except for the Snapper, appear to be driven by only one wheel, but may be mistaken on that point. My lawn is virtually level, and generally easy to maintain as long as rain doesn't push my mowing schedule off by much.

Attachments

• 20170419_193145.jpg
    20170419_193145.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170420_100923.jpg
    20170420_100923.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a small lawn and have been mowing with push mowers for over 20 years. I'm looking to get a self propelled mower for next season, and most stores around me are discounting right now. I'm stuck over which type is better, rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. I've looked at Honda, JD, Troy Bilt, Toro, Snapper and Sears. The thing that bothers me most is that all of the self propelled units I have looked at, except for the Snapper, appear to be driven by only one wheel, but may be mistaken on that point. My lawn is virtually level, and generally easy to maintain as long as rain doesn't push my mowing schedule off by much.

My Craftsman and MTD front drivers have always had both front wheels driven...the advantage of having front drive is that it is usually cheaper, easier to maintain, and turning (to me anyhow) is easier because all you do is press down on the handle to lift the front wheels and pivot the mower. Rear drive has a real advantage if you plan to rear bag grass because a full grass bag can often create enough extra weight in the back that it will be hard to keep the front wheels on the ground. Also on hills the rear drive has an advantage, but with your level lawn that isn't a factor. All the brands you mention are well made machines.

dgl24087

Threads
I found a used Honda HRM 21 rear drive self propelled for sale locally for $150. Looks practically brand new, the best info I can find indicates it was built in the 90's. Any feedback?

dgl24087

Threads
Well, I looked at the mower today and bought it. I had to try it out after getting it home and I must say it's the best cutting and running mower I have ever owned.

briggs

Threads
they are a great mower i have 2 Hondas one is well over 10 years old and the other is about 5 i love them both ..the self propelled models are sweet ...Glad you like it :thumbsup: