Briggs 14HP TwinII starts and runs until you try to use it..

sonnydays40

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs 14HP TwinII starts and runs until you try to use it..
Engine - Model #400707-1221-02

It seems fine until i try to ride it. Then it tries to die but bucks back up and goes a few yards further starts to die then bucks back up..few more feet then it dies.

I have everything off but the flywheel...cant find my puller but the key looks intact and straight in the groove. do i need to pull the flywheel off anyway and check it? it looks good and sits straight in the slot about 1/8 inch from the top. no play or slop.

The mower i put this engine on doesnt have a choke cable so i just let it warm up and move the choke to as smooth running as i can...it sounds smooth--until you try to use it.

Any suggestions before i surrender and take it to the shop?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let me repeat a post from another thread that might just get you the help you need. Please follow it.

Since this is a help forum, it is only fair that the people trying to answer questions have some information to work with, so they can give an accurate answer. This helps them if they need to research parts or service information on your engine or equipment. In the first part of your post please include your engine numbers from the ID tag or stamping and the equipment type and model numbers that are on it. Failure to do this may result in you not receiving any accurate help with your problem.

Many of the tech's that hang out here work in or have there own shops and the first thing they do when they make up a work order on a unit is include the engine and equipment numbers on the work order. Since this technical forum is offered free to the public, it's the least we can ask you to do, so please help all of us out. *So please post the numbers in the new topic you start to ask your question. It should be the first thing you write before beginning your question. :D

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine - Model #400707-1221-02

It seems fine until i try to ride it. Then it tries to die but bucks back up and goes a few yards further starts to die then bucks back up..few more feet then it dies.

I have everything off but the flywheel...cant find my puller but the key looks intact and straight in the groove. do i need to pull the flywheel off anyway and check it? it looks good and sits straight in the slot about 1/8 inch from the top. no play or slop.

The mower i put this engine on doesnt have a choke cable so i just let it warm up and move the choke to as smooth running as i can...it sounds smooth--until you try to use it.

Any suggestions before i surrender and take it to the shop?

I wouldn't pull off the flywheel unless you have a good reason to, like getting to the coil or alternator, give the carb a good clean out, make sure you have good compression and also the governor is working right.

sonnydays40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me repeat a post from another thread that might just get you the help you need. Please follow it.

Since this is a help forum, it is only fair that the people trying to answer questions have some information to work with, so they can give an accurate answer. This helps them if they need to research parts or service information on your engine or equipment. In the first part of your post please include your engine numbers from the ID tag or stamping and the equipment type and model numbers that are on it. Failure to do this may result in you not receiving any accurate help with your problem.

Many of the tech's that hang out here work in or have there own shops and the first thing they do when they make up a work order on a unit is include the engine and equipment numbers on the work order. Since this technical forum is offered free to the public, it's the least we can ask you to do, so please help all of us out. *So please post the numbers in the new topic you start to ask your question. It should be the first thing you write before beginning your question. :D

This is why i read the forums and try to find my answer without ever asking a question in a post. I always run into the forum Ninja that tells me how stupid i must be.

"you shoulda started a new thread"

"why didnt you post that in the thread from 3 yrs ago"

Etc.

I posted every ID on the engine that i could find..get over yourself.

sonnydays40

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wouldn't pull off the flywheel unless you have a good reason to, like getting to the coil or alternator, give the carb a good clean out, make sure you have good compression and also the governor is working right.

I actually got it going right yesterday. I bought this engine used to slap it together for my mother to keep at her house for when i mow her yard. The guy bench started it for me and it fired right up, didnt smoke and reved smooth. After i installed it i found out the under load problem. The fuel filter is clear and you can see through it. I wondered if i installed it backward but figured it should still work either way. If it was new probably wouldnt have mattered but since it was used it might have mattered and i did have it in backward...i had the trash the screen caught previously engine side.

The main fuel line from the tank to the filter and filter to carb AND carb end hose were frayed at the connections and sucking air. They looked OK to my naked eye but after rigorous scientific testing (I took all the hoses off and blew into one end while holding my thumb over the other end at my ear) I found virtually all of the hoses were leaking at or near their termination point, even the one from the crankcase to the bottom of the square thing on the front of the carb. I didnt remove or disassemble the carb to clean it I just sprayed every orifice i could get the straw to as it sat where it was with the breather assy removed.

After all that i cranked it and could tell immediately it sounded better but the real result would be found on the way to the back yard. after letting it warm up and guessing where the choke should be for my max mowing speed i took. I usually dont make it past the driveway before the mower and I are doing our version of John Travolta in Urban Cowboy. But it stayed smooth and kept going so I hit the blades for some victory laps.:thumbsup: After about ten minutes of mowing the steering column fell back to my lap.:eek: Its either a kick in the *** or a slap in the face. I cant have 2 things go right at the same time. But the engine works fine now. I just need to get a 5 dollar sterring bushing and i'll be good to go.

Where can i set the choke and leave it permanently. This mower never had a choke but this engine does. I live in GA and never really need a choke to crank the engine. Or am i going to have to fiddle with the choke everytime i get ready to mow?:thumbdown:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you do not need the choke then tie it back with some wire (open that is)

chance123

Threads
Normally, the choke is used for cold starts only. Once the engine reaches normal operating temperature, the choke is moved to completely open (off)

scott47429

Threads
i would ether wire the choke open if not needed or install a universal choke kit and jut drill a hole in the dash to mount it in should be pretty easy you can get them at about any parts store

sonnydays40

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you do not need the choke then tie it back with some wire (open that is)

I fixed the steering yesterday and its back to doing the same thing. I know the steering didnt cause it but a couple questions:

If i remove the carb to clean it do i need to get new gaskets or can i re-use the old ones provided they look good.

The choke position is what i expected it to be (full open when warmed up) but when i do that it nearly wont run at all. I cant remember exactly but i think it runs best at about 75% choke closed...i know for sure i cant open the choke past 50% or it wont run at all...warm or not.

chance123

Threads
I fixed the steering yesterday and its back to doing the same thing. I know the steering didnt cause it but a couple questions:

If i remove the carb to clean it do i need to get new gaskets or can i re-use the old ones provided they look good.

The choke position is what i expected it to be (full open when warmed up) but when i do that it nearly wont run at all. I cant remember exactly but i think it runs best at about 75% choke closed...i know for sure i cant open the choke past 50% or it wont run at all...warm or not.
It sounds like your main jet is dirty. It's best to blow out with carb spray all the passage ways and clean. New gaskets are best. Better yet, just get a carb kit.