scag tiger cub problem

jwtdvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
my scag is giving me fits---way down on power--runs about 1/2 speed from my last use of it---in already cut grass when I activate the blade pto and go to full speed it just about bogs and dies--blades new but again it does this on grass that doesnt need cutting--thought maybe fuel problem--filter not clogged--pulled carb and thought I found trash in needle/seat but upon reassembly same problem--the hydraulic level looks good as well===any ideas???

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have something using way too much power, (like failed bearings in the mower deck) or the engine is not operating right...
Without running the deck is there any signs of an engine problem?? :smile:KennyV

jwtdvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have something using way too much power, (like failed bearings in the mower deck) or the engine is not operating right...
Without running the deck is there any signs of an engine problem?? :smile:KennyV

thanks for respomding---you know after I cleaned the carb it seemed it ran a little faster but with out the mower on---my well meaning elderly friend had just gotten the mower all tangled up in a plastic tarp---I had to cut it all loose and then took the opportunity to put new blades on--do you think while tangled in the tarp (who knows how long it took him to stop the mower pto after the entanglement) that the bearings to the blade could have gotten over-heated and trashed??--I can turn the blades by hand there is some resistance I am not sure how freely they should turn by hand??--upon reflection if the blades were tangled up and the pto stayed on it probably would have just fried the belt??=If I had a clogged hydraulic filter could that explain any thing??thanks in advance

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
probably would have just fried the belt??

Take that belt off and the blade(s) should spin free, with no drag... if there is any I would bet some of that tarp is wrapped up somewhere it should not be... :smile:KennyV

jwtdvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
that will be my first try---unfortunately I am out of town for next two weeks--when I return I will post if that was the problem--thanks

jwtdvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
finally got back out to the farm but have not got any relief---pulled all the belts off and all 3 blade/pulley assemblies turn freely--took the carb apart again for the heck of it--found nothing and once again did not help--pulled every fuel line joint off one at a time and they all flowed gas--dont think it is a fuel problem--even took the rear wheels off to see if anything dragging there--nothing the axles are an enclosed system nothing to wrap up any tarp and none in sight--the scag is on my trailer with a trip planned to the dealer tommorrow unless I get another good suggestion --again down on power--putting the pto chokes it down---doesnt do that with the belt off-could the clutch assembly be the problem??

173abn

Threads
sounds like your PTO. russ

jwtdvm

Forum Newbie
Threads
sorry so slow to post--the repair shop said pushrod in one cylinder broken in three---had to pull engine and remove pan---could not fish it out thru top--fussed at me about not changing oil regularly enough --runs ok now only 713.00

173abn

Threads
jwtdvm,sorry to hear it was an expensive repair.did the repair shop say it was due to not enough oil changes? russ