Acetone as a fuel additive?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Former boss sent me a link today to a site named Pure Energy Systems Network where they suggest using a small amount of commercially purchased acetone as a fuel additive.

I was skeptical but the information makes it sound really practical and it is claimed that adding the acetone to either gasoline or diesel, burn like the ideal fuel which is propane. Anyone have experience or know something about the subject?

briggs

Threads
I have never heard of it ..My guess it would make it burn hotter ..Just like adding mouth balls or octane boost to gas ..I do know some of the additives have kerosene in them

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
acetone as a fuel additive.

Hard to believe that this story is still making the rounds...
Some time ago ... episode #53 Myth Busters actually did a segment on this...
the results:
Test devices and additives:

* Fuel line magnets: working on the "principles of hydrodynamics," they are supposed to align the molecules for more efficient consumption.
* Acetone additive: supposed to make gasoline burn more efficiently
* 300mpg 'super' carburetor
* Hydrogen fuel cell generator: flammable hydrogen gas produced by electrolysis. Adam labeled it "Gasbuster: Stickin' it to the Man"

They tested each car on the dynamometer at 35mph and 55mph with each 'device.'

Carburetor car: * Baseline: 17mpg at 35mph and 25mpg at 55mph * Magnets: exactly the same as baseline busted * Acetone: 16.7mpg at 35mph and 24mpg at 55mph busted * Super carb: much worse than baseline, 12mpg at 35mph and 17.7mpg at 55mph busted

Fuel-injected car * Baseline: 19mpg at 35mph and 27mpg at 55mph * Magnets: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted * Acetone: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted

Don't do it .... It can damage your fuel system.
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hard to believe that this story is still making the rounds...
Some time ago ... episode #53 Myth Busters actually did a segment on this...
the results:
Test devices and additives:

* Fuel line magnets: working on the "principles of hydrodynamics," they are supposed to align the molecules for more efficient consumption.
* Acetone additive: supposed to make gasoline burn more efficiently
* 300mpg 'super' carburetor
* Hydrogen fuel cell generator: flammable hydrogen gas produced by electrolysis. Adam labeled it "Gasbuster: Stickin' it to the Man"

They tested each car on the dynamometer at 35mph and 55mph with each 'device.'

Carburetor car: * Baseline: 17mpg at 35mph and 25mpg at 55mph * Magnets: exactly the same as baseline busted * Acetone: 16.7mpg at 35mph and 24mpg at 55mph busted * Super carb: much worse than baseline, 12mpg at 35mph and 17.7mpg at 55mph busted

Fuel-injected car * Baseline: 19mpg at 35mph and 27mpg at 55mph * Magnets: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted * Acetone: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted

Don't do it .... It can damage your fuel system.
:smile:KennyV

My former boss forwarded me an email from his brother who tried using acetone in his F250 diesel, according to the message he was unable to improve his fuel mileage. I only drive 2,000 miles a year at most (retired) but was hoping adding acetone would reduce the rate my JD sucks down diesel fuel....oh well. My wife would be ticked off at me for swiping her nail polish remover anyhow. :biggrin:

triniphen

Threads
As a Chemist, its total BS. Besides, lawnmower carb gaskets and especially polymer needle tips and seats disintegrate in acetone. It will swell the hell out of all of them upon standing until your next mow.

Are you looking for more oomph or MPG?

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I've never used it myself, but my father has and he really thought it was great. I think it really depends. I mean, there are so many things that work, but some people swear by certain things than others. So many things can be fine as additives.

mois25

Threads
I have not seen it in use myself but certain quarters suggest that acetone in fuel increases mileage because it aids in vaporization of the fuel thus increasing fuel efficiency.