1.1 Acres. Which Zero Turn?

JJRJR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a ZTR. Been shopping and researching for about a month. Want to stay under $3K. Yard is 1.1 acres. Front third is level. Middle third has the house on it with lawn on both sides of the house. Back third slopes down 15% to 20% for about 30 feet. Rest at the back is level. 20+ trees and mulch bed areas (which I why I've decided on a ZTR). While overall the yard is pretty smooth, there are several areas that are bumpy, with lots of ridges and rocky areas, etc.

I've narrowed my search to:

- Cub Cadet RZT50 (22hp). I think I could get it for about $2700.
- Cub Cadet RZT42 (20hp). I think I could get it for about $2300.
- Husqvarna RZ5424 (24hp). I think I could get it for about $2700.
- Husqvarna RZ4619 (19hp). I think I could get it for about $2400.
- Toro Timecutter Z4235 (22 hp). I think I could get it for about $2600.
- Ariens Zoom42 (16.5 hp). I think I could get it for about $2200.

Anyone have any strong opinions about which would be best for me? Specicially:

1) Anyone worried about units with lower HP (e.g. <22) given the slope in the middle of my yard?
2) Anyone worried about units with larger decks (e.g >42in) might not handle the dips and bumps well?
3) Anyone feel strongly about one brand over another?
4) Anyone feel strongly about buying from big box retailer v. yard equipment retailer v. online?

Thanks!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking to buy a ZTR. Been shopping and researching for about a month. Want to stay under $3K. Yard is 1.1 acres. Front third is level. Middle third has the house on it with lawn on both sides of the house. Back third slopes down 15% to 20% for about 30 feet. Rest at the back is level. 20+ trees and mulch bed areas (which I why I've decided on a ZTR). While overall the yard is pretty smooth, there are several areas that are bumpy, with lots of ridges and rocky areas, etc.

I've narrowed my search to:

- Cub Cadet RZT50 (22hp). I think I could get it for about $2700.
- Cub Cadet RZT42 (20hp). I think I could get it for about $2300.
- Husqvarna RZ5424 (24hp). I think I could get it for about $2700.
- Husqvarna RZ4619 (19hp). I think I could get it for about $2400.
- Toro Timecutter Z4235 (22 hp). I think I could get it for about $2600.
- Ariens Zoom42 (16.5 hp). I think I could get it for about $2200.

Anyone have any strong opinions about which would be best for me? Specicially:

1) Anyone worried about units with lower HP (e.g. <22) given the slope in the middle of my yard?
2) Anyone worried about units with larger decks (e.g >42in) might not handle the dips and bumps well?
3) Anyone feel strongly about one brand over another?
4) Anyone feel strongly about buying from big box retailer v. yard equipment retailer v. online?

Thanks!

I am not going to form or give an opinion on any of the mowers mention. I will say that the EZT Transmission or drives are the ones to my knowledge they had and have problems with as far as reliability so I'd be careful in that respect. The other things to look for in a mower that you buy should be does it have Spindles, Wheel Bearings, and front ends that you can grease and maintain. When you can't grease bearings and they are made of polycarbonate :thumbdown: I'm looking the other way.

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.

Personally I'd stay away from big box retailers or buying online and find yourself a local dealer to deal with, that way you'll have the service and support you need if something should go wrong with the mower. Buying from the big box retailers or online could cause you future problems.

JJRJR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Than ks! Great info.

How about owners of these machines? Anyone own one of these Cubs or Huskys or Toros willing to share their experiences? Specifically on reliability, on mowing 1.1 acres, on dealing with 15% to 20% slopes?