Blowing Fuses

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No idea what you mean by situ.? Frist of all I am thinking by saying alternator we are talking about the stator? I may very well be wrong and it would,t be the first time. But as I see it by not pulling the flywheel all you will know is that you have a short circuit under the flywheel. Yes it could be that the wires are burned around the coils on the stator but who knows without looking?? Also the flywheel has to come off for the repairs anyways if you have a bad stator.

wcpost

Threads
I wouldn't bypass anything, check the ignition switch and then the diode, that's in the Red wire to the alternator.

I have tried it with the plug unpluged. Would that have by-passed the diode?

wcpost

Threads
No idea what you mean by situ.? Frist of all I am thinking by saying alternator we are talking about the stator? I may very well be wrong and it would,t be the first time. But as I see it by not pulling the flywheel all you will know is that you have a short circuit under the flywheel. Yes it could be that the wires are burned around the coils on the stator but who knows without looking?? Also the flywheel has to come off for the repairs anyways if you have a bad stator.

Would unpluging the plug at the flywheel and tring this again prove this?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

If you don't know what the word "situ" is look it up, yes the alternator is also called the stator, and you can if there is a short in the wiring tell by a meter if you know how to use one, so yes for the first time you are wrong and I don't believe for one minute it is, and yes the flywheel has to come off, but only if there is something wrong with any of the parts that are under it, or to replace itself.
If you feel that the help am trying to give isn't up to your standard's, the answer is simple........

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your short gos away after unplugging the wire to the flywheel your short is under the fly wheel. That is the whole thing about finding the short is to find out what makes it go away. You should be able to make these test with a test light. Connect the test light in place of the fuse and when it gos out you have found your problem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you don't know what the word "situ" is look it up, yes the alternator is also called the stator, and you can if there is a short in the wiring tell by a meter if you know how to use one, so yes for the first time you are wrong and I don't believe for one minute it is, and yes the flywheel has to come off, but only if there is something wrong with any of the parts that are under it, or to replace itself.
If you feel that the help am trying to give isn't up to your standard's, the answer is simple........

No I don't know everything and yes I know how to read some meters but it all depends what meter you are talking about. The only thing I am saying if there is a short under the flywheel it has to come off to fix it and as far as your standards you are a lot smarter and better then me at repairs. But for some unknown reason I seem to hold my own at it and have been doing it for the last 70 years with some mistakes along the way. The word situ isn't in my dictionary and a word I have ever used but also I am not that good at words being a dumb mechanic. I come to this forum for for one thing and that is entertainment and if someone doesn't like what I have to say don't read it. When I tell someone how to make a repair its how I would do it right or wrong. Here is a person who removed a whole wiring harness . To me would be a lot more work then removing a flywheel.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
In Situ
Adverb: in situ, in'sit-yoo
1 In the original or natural place or site
"carcinoma in situ"

2 Adjective: in-situ
Being in the original position; not having been moved
"an in-situ investigator"; "the archeologists could date the vase because it was in-situ"

I to am old and have been put out to grass just like a old pit pony, only became a member to help out here, but do ask myself sometimes why I did so. All the best.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understand that "in situ" means in place - or in origional position.

Different words (or phrases) may be used frequently in certain places or parts of the country and not used at all in other places.

I would not think it is too kind to make fun of or berate someone for not knowing a term that you may know.

Just my :2cents: !

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I understand that "in situ" means in place - or in origional position.

Different words (or phrases) may be used frequently in certain places or parts of the country and not used at all in other places.

I would not think it is too kind to make fun of or berate someone for not knowing a term that you may know.

Just my :2cents: !

I wasn't making fun at anyone, read the post. If I didn't know a word or understand it I would look it up, and has you say, in certain parts of the world may not use them.