Stuck wheel

jross

Threads
I received a Cub Cadet 1600 from my neighbor for free. A low end mower for sure, but the price is right. I am having a problem removing the left rear wheel. I used P-blaster, heated the hub, drilled two holes along the shaft into the hub on each flat and squirted P- blaster in the holes, beat the wrench on the wheel puller with a light hammer, and it will not budge. The right wheel came off with no problem. I do not want to hit the puller wrench any harder lest I damage the axle bearings. I thought maybe a hydraulic puller?

Dannie

Threads
Let it set for a few days with tension on the puller.Each day tighten puller and put more P blaster on.I use old engine oil and heat as a last resort.As I apply heat to the inside of the wheel I use an oil can to put oil on outside. The heat draws the oil along the axel and frees the wheel.Do not get axel too hot.It may take awhile.GOOD LUCK......

Attachments

• 20160526_173657.jpg
    20160526_173657.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

jross

Threads
Well, Now I have a 7 ton hydraulic bottle jack chained to the wheel and as much pressure as I dare to prevent flying missiles. Heated the inside of the hub again. I will keep it like that for a while and see what happens. A little advice. If you ever have to do this with a bottle jack, make sure the pump is lower than the cylinder or all you will pump is air :)

briggs

Threads
some of those darn things can be a real pain in the butt to get off ...If the tire is still on the rim dont heat it take the tire off the rim ...It can blow up even after you have let all the air out The heat can re-inflate the tire ..I have seen this happen don't want to see anyone get hurt .

jross

Threads
some of those darn things can be a real pain in the butt to get off ...If the tire is still on the rim dont heat it take the tire off the rim ...It can blow up even after you have let all the air out The heat can re-inflate the tire ..I have seen this happen don't want to see anyone get hurt .

Thanks for reminding me of that. Not to worry, the tire is so bad it will not hold any air, but I will cut it more just in case.

briggs

Threads
Thanks for reminding me of that. Not to worry, the tire is so bad it will not hold any air, but I will cut it more just in case.

no prob man anytime let us know how you make out :thumbsup:

hornet

Threads
Failing that get a mechanic in, if the mechanic breaks the axle or any other part you have someone else to blame and I'm sure the mechanic would be insured anyway if anything were to break.

noma

Threads
Hay Jross

Depending where the wheel is on the front steering or on the back drive you may have to cut it off and get a new wheel. Maybe you can find one at a salvage yard or e-bay or new at a dealer.The price way right for what you paid for the mower ,so you don't have nothing into it yet, just the price you pay for free stuff sometimes . good luck and have fun:confused2::mad::ashamed::laughing::biggrin:

Manny

Threads
Have you tried a little WD-40? Just spray on a little bit, and let it set for a couple of hours. The stuff can work miracles.

jross

Threads
Hay Jross

Depending where the wheel is on the front steering or on the back drive you may have to cut it off and get a new wheel. Maybe you can find one at a salvage yard or e-bay or new at a dealer.The price way right for what you paid for the mower ,so you don't have nothing into it yet, just the price you pay for free stuff sometimes . good luck and have fun:confused2::mad::ashamed::laughing::biggrin:

I haven't even got to the front wheels yet, and the right rear came off with a regular wheel puller. Cutting is my next move. I can get a Dremel inside the wheel, I think. Tractor Supply sells a 20x8x8 tire for $46 and a mounted tire on the hub that fits a CC for $56.

Attachments

• 0702182020c.jpg
    0702182020c.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3