Troy Bilt (Garden Way) Tiller

ablecain

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a rear tine tiller from the 70's . Awesome torque, brute strength. I am looking for an owners/service manual. Anybody have a lead on resource. In particular I need to know the rating of gear oil used in the transfer case. Logic dictates standard gear oil but.... Good machines deserve appropriate care.

Thanks for reading,

JCain

HarryHarley

Threads
Was there supposed to be a picture here?
Anyway, I have a 1978 horse 8hp. Still using it. Sorry I can't help with the manual as I only have a hard copy. Book calls for either SAE 140 or SAE 90 gear oil. I happen to use 140.
Hope your tiller works well for you!

rbgsig228

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ablecain......... Go to Troy-Bilt website http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/...&cm_mmc=Yahoo-_-Parts-_-Troy-Bilt-_-troy+bilt

Early '70 and '80 Models did not have model numbers so were either "Pony" or "Horse" models. If you type one of those in for Model number you can get a list pulled up at the Troy-Bilt website and match it up. Or call their customer service number and give them your serial number and they can match it up for you. You can download Owners and Parts Manuals from the website.

The other answer is correct with SAE 140 Gear Oil for hot weather, and SAE 90 Gear Oil for colder weather.

I had a Troy-Bilt '72 6hp Horse that I got from my parents and used for many years, and I think it's still running, ex-wife got it. Just this last weekend picked up a Troy-Bilt '87 8hp PTO Horse.

I can't speak for the new ('92 and later), Troy-Bilt was bought out by MTD, but the old Troy-Bilt's can't be beat. My dad is still running a '74 7hp Horse.

Good Luck