White ZT50 Battery Keeps Going Dead

jdj309

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a White ZT50 and the battery keeps going dead.I put a Battery from my other mower in it and it started right up.I can start it with my charger and mow everything.When I shut it off it's dead.Someone said it might be a short or a bad switch.Does anyone have any suggestions before I have to take it to the Shop? Thanks,jdj309

bitsnpieces1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a White ZT50 and the battery keeps going dead.I put a Battery from my other mower in it and it started right up.I can start it with my charger and mow everything.When I shut it off it's dead.Someone said it might be a short or a bad switch.Does anyone have any suggestions before I have to take it to the Shop? Thanks,jdj309

I would say your battery is shot. Using the charger to start, the charger is providing the power. While running, the charging system is providing the power. These batteries will go bad after a while, same as a car battery, just faster, especially if you let it sit and go dead. I have had quite a few go out on me. Just buy a new battery and a trickle charger to keep it up.

chjr69

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is probably a bad battery but put the battery on a car battery charger at 8 to 12 amps for a couple hours watching it closely to boil it for a short time. Then put it on a trickle charger over night and check the voltage in the battery with a volt meter, it should be around 12.5 to 13 volts. If it is below 12.3 volts it is bad, if volts are OK put it back in the tractor and try to start it. If it starts check the battery volts again, it should be around 13.5 to 14.8 at a fast idle. If it is running at a fast idle and is below 13 volts you have a charging problem also.
Good luck
chjr69 :ashamed:

jspwrplc

Threads
If the known good battery went dead after mowing then the charging system on the mower may not be working correctly. with a good battery installed take a volt meter and connect it on the battery and see the viltage. Start the mower and rev it up to full throttle and the voltage should peak at around 13.5 to 14volts. If it doesnt then you will have to test each componite seperatly to isolate the problem.

Cubguy21

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the load test at auto parts store shows good battery, then you may want to replace the regulator/rectifier (charging module for tractor engine).

jdj309

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is probably a bad battery but put the battery on a car battery charger at 8 to 12 amps for a couple hours watching it closely to boil it for a short time. Then put it on a trickle charger over night and check the voltage in the battery with a volt meter, it should be around 12.5 to 13 volts. If it is below 12.3 volts it is bad, if volts are OK put it back in the tractor and try to start it. If it starts check the battery volts again, it should be around 13.5 to 14.8 at a fast idle. If it is running at a fast idle and is below 13 volts you have a charging problem also.
Good luck
chjr69 :ashamed:
Thanks,I will cvheck this out.Don't want o take it to the shop$$$.
jdj309

Fixitlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been seeing a similar issue with my Crafstman 27hp GT5000. Appears to be the electric clutch for the deck. When not engaged, th echarging system is good, soon as I engage the blades the battery goes to discharge. Haven't isolated what it is just yet.

jet62095

Threads
I would recommend any type of Die Hard battery, and no I'm not being paid to say that. I have a Die-Hard gold (Lawn Tractor Battery) from 2002, and it still powers my 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1040 just fine, it's outlasted 2 lawn tractors haha.

Jet