Tecumseh engine on snowblower will not start

D2hornets58

Threads
The air intake will be the carb. Snowblowers don't have air filters, just an opening on the carb because the filters would get clogged with snow and there's very little dust in the winter time anyway. The carb is covered in a box so that the hot air coming off the engine warms the air that flows into the carb for combustion. This is to get the engine to run better with cold temps and also melt any snow that happens to get sucked in. Just do a spray or two up into that box but stand away from that area when you start it in case the engine backfires or something, you'll have a good flame :)

OK i did see the opening in the carb. there is a knob that connects to that. Should i have the flap all the way open when running it?
Thank you for the help

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hmmm, that would be the choke knob. I think it might be best to open it all the way, spray and then set it to half choke and try to start it.

D2hornets58

Threads
Hmmm, that would be the choke knob. I think it might be best to open it all the way, spray and then set it to half choke and try to start it.

ok ill give it a try this weekend and let you know if i get it started.

D2hornets58

Threads
I needed new bolts to hold up the starter into place. I put the starter on today and tried to start it using electric start instead of the pull start. It started up pretty quickly and actually ran good. I let it run for a couple minutes and it seemed fine.

natenkiki2004

Threads
How does that correlate with the problem you had on the first page?

D2hornets58

Threads
How does that correlate with the problem you had on the first page?

Before I was just using the pull start. When I put the starter back on I was able to start the engine. When I was using the pull start I couldnt get it started. Not really sure why it suddenly ran fine though.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Maybe you weren't pulling hard enough? Still, with a properly running engine and a couple of primes, pull starting even a 10hp engine shouldn't be that hard.

In any event, hopefully you've gained some knowledge and feel more confident with working on the engine. Glad it's working for you now, snow is coming :licking:

D2hornets58

Threads
Maybe you weren't pulling hard enough? Still, with a properly running engine and a couple of primes, pull starting even a 10hp engine shouldn't be that hard.

In any event, hopefully you've gained some knowledge and feel more confident with working on the engine. Glad it's working for you now, snow is coming :licking:

Ya i did get it started the other day with the pull start but it would shut off after a few seconds. Thanks for the help