Tecumseh engine on snowblower will not start

chance123

Threads
im confused,the different inlet needle caused seizure?..ran it too lean?

Seized as in "Froze up"? I don't see how an out of adjustment needle would cause a failure like that. I guess anything is possible.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Engines will seize if running too lean. Something about delayed combustion or causing the engine to run hotter or burning off the oil in the cylinder. I'm not sure exactly. Mine seized up solid, had to get a 8 foot pipe on a ratchet wrench. It could have been something internal aside from the valves & piston but the engine runs great now and I've driven it full speed probably half a mile around my property with the augers going, no issues.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn about aftermarket carb parts :thumbsup:

91c1500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Running too lean will cause the metal to expand which will cause the piston to stop moving. This can possibly cause the cylinder to taper or score the cylinder. You can bore out the cylinder if it's not too bad.

Anyway, usually when I clean a carb, I take it completely apart including the seals and gaskets. I move them to the side to keep carb cleaner off of them since the rubber seals will expand, rendering them useless. then I shoot carb cleaner through all of the jets until it looks like they're during properly. Reassemble the carb and see if it helped. Most of the time it does.

I need to work on my long winded replies, sorry.

LakeRat1

Threads
D2homets 58 , if you have not pulled the carb off yet, here us what i would try first, drain all the gas out of the system, get a pt. of Sea Foam, put about 1/2 that pt. of Sea Foam in the gas tank., now fill the tank about 1/2 full with fresh gas, Now see if you can get it to crank, if it does let it run about 5 min. then shut it down and wait about 30 min. this will let the sea foam clean the carb. then recrank the motor and run a while, it should clear up and run smoth, worked for me, in the future you sould use a double dose of Marine- Stib in your gas, if there is not a fuel shut off, it would be a good idea to install a fuel shut off, when you are finished with the blower, shut off the gas and let it run out of Gas

LakeRat1

D2hornets58

Threads
D2homets 58 , if you have not pulled the carb off yet, here us what i would try first, drain all the gas out of the system, get a pt. of Sea Foam, put about 1/2 that pt. of Sea Foam in the gas tank., now fill the tank about 1/2 full with fresh gas, Now see if you can get it to crank, if it does let it run about 5 min. then shut it down and wait about 30 min. this will let the sea foam clean the carb. then recrank the motor and run a while, it should clear up and run smoth, worked for me, in the future you sould use a double dose of Marine- Stib in your gas, if there is not a fuel shut off, it would be a good idea to install a fuel shut off, when you are finished with the blower, shut off the gas and let it run out of Gas

LakeRat1

OK ill give that a try this weekend. I have not had time to pull off the carb so Ill try that first. Do most stores sell sea Foam Like bennys?? Ill repost after I try this. Thanks for the help.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Seafoam is pretty popular and easily found. If your carb isn't leaking then $9 (at most) for a can of Seafoam just might fix your problems for the cheapest amount of $$. Worst case scenario, you still have to pull the carb and when you're done with that, you have some nice engine-cleaning gas to burn.

D2hornets58

Threads
Seafoam is pretty popular and easily found. If your carb isn't leaking then $9 (at most) for a can of Seafoam just might fix your problems for the cheapest amount of $$. Worst case scenario, you still have to pull the carb and when you're done with that, you have some nice engine-cleaning gas to burn.

Ya i would rather try sea foam before taking off the carb. But if I pour it in the gas will it help start the engine or does the engine have to be started for it to work?

natenkiki2004

Threads
It might modify the octane or something to get it started easier... maybe. If you can't get it started with the Seafoam in, maybe try to get it going with a little bit of starting fluid. It's not that great to use but perhaps getting the engine to run for a few seconds might provide enough suction to get the gas flowing through the carb with the Seafoam.

D2hornets58

Threads
It might modify the octane or something to get it started easier... maybe. If you can't get it started with the Seafoam in, maybe try to get it going with a little bit of starting fluid. It's not that great to use but perhaps getting the engine to run for a few seconds might provide enough suction to get the gas flowing through the carb with the Seafoam.

Ya I was thinking about trying a little starting fluid if i cant get it to start but i can not find the air intake. I have looked all over the engine and cannot find it. Most things are covered on this engine so it must be behind something where i havnt looked yet.

natenkiki2004

Threads
The air intake will be the carb. Snowblowers don't have air filters, just an opening on the carb because the filters would get clogged with snow and there's very little dust in the winter time anyway. The carb is covered in a box so that the hot air coming off the engine warms the air that flows into the carb for combustion. This is to get the engine to run better with cold temps and also melt any snow that happens to get sucked in. Just do a spray or two up into that box but stand away from that area when you start it in case the engine backfires or something, you'll have a good flame :)