Transaxle fluid

My_guy99

Threads
Has anyone ever changed the fluid before??

My_guy99

Threads
Does anyone know anything about hydrostatic transmission?? Help

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know anything about hydrostatic transmission?? Help
It may make a big difference which brand of hydrostatic trannie(and mower) this is on. I just purchased my first ZTR(a Gravely) and it had the HydroGear brand ZT3400 hydrostatic drive(combination transmission pump and wheel motor in a single unit). Some mowers have separate pumps and wheel motors. Mine(and I believe all of the HydroGear brand commonly used on ZTR mowers) requires 20w50 motor oil(even though they are referred to as "hydraulic") to be used. I would think other hydrostatic transmission brands and applications may recommend other fluids. Maybe if you provided more specific details another forum member would know what to recommend.

My_guy99

Threads
I have a yts 4000 craftsman and the Manuel says that the Trans requires no service! Sounds just plain stupid if you ask me! If you never change fluids, things break down an malfunction!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a yts 4000 craftsman and the Manuel says that the Trans requires no service! Sounds just plain stupid if you ask me! If you never change fluids, things break down an malfunction!

My guess would be that the transmission on that Craftsman is a sealed unit and most likely, just as indicated in the manual, is not "user servicable". You may find a lawn & garden repair center that will "rebuild/replace" the xmission if it is failing, but that may not be economically feasible. A lot of the residential lawn tractors sold by big box stores like Sears, Lowes & Home Depot are designed to be "disposable".....if a major component fails, repairs are not a viable option. Sorry:0(

My_guy99

Threads
Yea, non serviceable! That's what it says!! That's a load of crap to! I looked inside there looks to be a filler hole but no way of knowing until I drop it from the frame. I don't even know what you would refill it with, gear oil, 20w50, I put this in my bike, lol

My_guy99

Threads
I like keeping my stuff for a long time so preventative maintenance is the key! I wish I had knew before I bought it!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like keeping my stuff for a long time so preventative maintenance is the key! I wish I had knew before I bought it!

Just thought about it...the lawn tractor I had before I bought my ZTR was a 2006 Craftsman YS4500 54" lawn tractor(manufactured by Husqvarna as are a LOT of the Craftsman lawn tractors). Before I gave the Craftsman to my son I was going over it for a final cleanup/maintenance and I noticed a label on the bottom of the seat that had "HydroGear" with a UPC# and Bar Code. All of a sudden it hit me(after all these years) what that label was.....it was the transmission model#. This jumped out at me because most of the high-end residential and low-end commercial ZTR mowers I had been looking at all had "HydroGear brand" hydro trannies in them. So that told me that the Craftsman/Husqvarna lawn tractor also had a Hydrogear brand trannie in it. You may want to check your lawn tractor to see if you can find a label that contains the Make/Model# of your transmission and maybe you could contact the trannie manufacturer directly. I'm sure if I contacted HydroGear and provided the UPC# on that label they would be able to give me some detailed information(if not a service manual) for the trannie. In fact if you look at the link below you will see that HydroGear makes a whole bunch of hydrostatic trannies and you can download a service manual for any of them from their website using this link. Maybe you will luck out and yours has a Hydrogear trannie that there is a service manual listed for it. Good luck on your research!!

Hydro-Gear Service Repair Manuals

My_guy99

Threads
Thank you!!! I will do so when I get home! Wish me luck!

My_guy99

Threads
Couldn't see any info on the Trans, may need to jack it up! Got the model number of the tractor though, doubt if that really helps but here it is anyways

Attachments

• image-1637788210.jpg
    image-1637788210.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 16