Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek flywheel replacement

turbozeke418

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek flywheel replacement
I have an early 2000's Craftsman LT3000. 2 years ago the engine blew and I had a friend who had a 90's LT2000 which was the same tractor with hydrostatic trans just less HP. I believe the engine is either a 16.5 or 18.5 HP. It was a direct replacement without any issue. My issue now is that my starter grinded down the starter ring. I pulled the flywheel off and now looking for a replacement. Are they pretty much interchangeable? These are the dimensions of what I need to replace.

5 1/4" from magnet to magnet (inner distance)
8 1/4 (outermost distance outside of starter ring)
Each magnet is 3/4" x 1/2" and there are 12.
From the top of the spindle to the bottom of the inner part of the flywheel is 1.5" and the entire unit is 3.5" top to bottom.

I'm sorry I can't give you a model # of the engine. I can't find #'s anywhere. Anything help you can give me would be appreciated. Or maybe if someone has one laying around for sale that will fit?

Attachments

• fly1.jpg
    fly1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 20
  • fly2.jpg
    fly2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 16

turbozeke418

Threads
I was just looking more and searching online. If I drill out the current rivets can I just get a replacement ring and everything should be good to go?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may help you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 24

chance123

Threads
You might want to compare the number of teeth on the ring gear

turbozeke418

Threads
well I have a new issue. The puller I used went to far down the shaft and stripped it out. Now I can't attach the flywheel back to the engine. I'm posting a new topic for this. I don't know what the part is where its stripped and I have no clue how to fix it if its even possible.

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 14

chance123

Threads
OUCH!! You stripped the "crankshaft"!! Removing the flywheel is done by removing the flywheel bolt, then screw in a sacrificial bolt till it bottoms out and unscrew 3 turns, then while putting a prybar under the flywheel, you hit that bolt hard with a sledge hammer, and the FW will pop right off. You "might" be able to chase the threads. If you had used the puller with the bolt "in" (without the washer) that would have worked too. When I use a puller, I still hit it with a hammer to shock it off the taper

slammed

Threads
as said before That is your crank shaft NO fixin it replace it best thing to do

chance123

Threads
Like I mentioned in your other post, you can install a "threadsert". (NOT a helicoil) A threadsert is installed by drilling the crank with the specified carbide bit, threading it with the specified tap, and screwing in the specified threadsert. (they are coated with a locking agent) Very simple, and I use these inserts all the time. Give me the original bolt size and thread pitch, and I'll point you in the right direction on Monday.