Problems with Honda GCV160 GCV190 engine

jabberwocky1962

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still having problems with lawnmower after a tuneup. Engine will run fine for about 10 minutes then begins to sound as if it will cut off. Does this for the rest of mowing. It has new gas, and gas cap is venting.

Threads
Ummmmm.....then I don't know. Sorry! :frown: Someone will respond with more experience than me! :tongue:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try rebuilding and cleaning the carb. If that doesn't work, replace the carb, most are cheaper to replace than spending the time to rebuild.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Still having problems with lawnmower after a tuneup. Engine will run fine for about 10 minutes then begins to sound as if it will cut off. Does this for the rest of mowing. It has new gas, and gas cap is venting.

What spark plug did you install? Check and see if it has a Spark Arrester, it may or may not have one it's standard on some of those and optional on others. If it has the arrester make sure it's cleaned.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
90% of poor running on most newer (< 5 years old) non-side valve mowers (either overhead cam or overhead valve design) is fuel-related, usually the carburetor. As others have said, consider replacing the carb itself AND THE GASKETS, and I'll bet it will run like a top. The carb for most GCV engines is pretty inexpensive, out the door with gaskets is probably <$30, and be sure to get the springs, anti-surge and governor, back in the right holes. Also confirm the choke linkage is working right. Share the serial number off the ENGINE (not the mower, unless it's a Honda mower), and I can get some service details for you.