Montgomery Ward PowrKraft 18-46

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hello all. I've not used or purchased a riding mower before but I got a guy wanting to sell me a Montgomery Ward PowrKraft 18-46. Beyond that, I don't know much info except that it needs a battery & ran fine this last summer. Any idea of what I should pay? What should I look for when buying one of these used?

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't really know how old this unit is, which makes it difficult to help you. Can you post both the unit and engine model numbers? This will tell us it's age and give us a better idea as to it's worth.

natenkiki2004

Threads
All I can guess is that it's a Briggs 18HP, 46". He says it doesn't smoke but needs a bit of carb work & TLC. I'll try to get some pictures or more info. Would $100 be something to take a leap on?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would only be worth that if you have the extra $100 that you could part with. I have found out that you can't always go by what the sellers say. "It doesn't smoke" "needs a little TLC" means to me that there is something wrong with it, which either he doesn't want to fix or it costs to much to fix. You said it has a Briggs engine. If you go to look at it, the engine numbers will tell you the year it was built. Model, type, code. The first two digets of the code number was the year it was built.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I get where you're coming from. I'm sure the belts are worn, carb needs cleaning/tuneup, new battery, probably bad looking paint/plastic but none of that really bothers me. He says he mowed with it and that must mean that the engine, transmission, tires and a few other things must be functioning on a basic level. Looking around, I see similar ones on Craigslist for $300-$700.

The issue with this deal is that I don't have a way to haul it and he's maybe 50 miles from me. He said he would deliver it included in that $100 cost. That's a bit of gas just to go see it and then turn around and pay for him to deliver it.

I know neither of us have much info to go on but even with doing a bit of work to it, it seems like a decent gamble at $100 delivered, don't you think?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's your money, but I think the guy wants to get rid of it to fast. Will deliver for $100? Not making much money and no one closer wants it?

natenkiki2004

Threads
Hmmmm. Well, I don't necessarily think he was actively trying to get rid of it, he replied to my Craigslist ad for wanting various cheap/free small engine projects. I don't recall seeing him post it up on Craigslist so he might have seen my ad and said "well, I'll make some room and a few bucks".

Who knows. I'm wanting to see some pictures or at the very least some more detailed model/year info on it before I decide one way or the other.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I got some more info today. I'll get pictures tonight. The guy says the engine ran a fair bit better with some Seafoam so the carb probably does need some cleaning. The mower has new belts as of last year and he's giving me an extra set of blades and the repair manual. The worst thing about it he said was there's a ball joint or something for the steering that needs replacing. He said it works but it needs replacing.

Being that it needs a battery, a carb cleaning and a repair, it makes sense that he would rather get rid of it for some cash in his pocket instead of pouring money & time into it. I still think for $100 cash, having a running riding mower delivered isn't bad. Even if I put $100-$150 of parts into it. It should be a good winter project.

I'm totally open to all thoughts & concerns, if there's something I need to ask or be worried about.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Well, I got pictures!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSC_1036.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSC_1037.JPG

I asked about the jack in the front. It might just be due to the flat tire (innertube that doesn't hold air?) and not wanting to damage the tire. He did mention an issue with the steering so I showed him a diagram and asked what part it might be (to get an approx price on repair so I can factor that in before buying). Aside from that, it cosmetically looks good except for the seat & dash but it is going on 18 years old... What are your guys' thoughts?