Trying to find out information about a Craftsman lawn tractor

fruitcop

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying to find out information about a Craftsman lawn tractor
I am trying to find out some information about the following tractor. It seems like a good deal but I cannot find any reviews or information about the model number. Anyone know about this tractor and if it is any good? I can't even find out what year it was made. I have a 1.5 acre lot with about 3/4 of it with lawn. The rest is wooded. The owner says he is the orginal owner and the machine is about 3 years old.

Here is a link to the Craiglist posting.

Craftsman Lawn tractor

Model number: 917.272140, 20HP Electric start, 46" mower, automatic, EZ3 GREAT condition new blades and battery. Lights still work, still have owners manual, also comes with a seed spreader!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am trying to find out some information about the following tractor. It seems like a good deal but I cannot find any reviews or information about the model number. Anyone know about this tractor and if it is any good? I can't even find out what year it was made. I have a 1.5 acre lot with about 3/4 of it with lawn. The rest is wooded. The owner says he is the orginal owner and the machine is about 3 years old.

Here is a link to the Craiglist posting.

Craftsman Lawn tractor

Model number: 917.272140, 20HP Electric start, 46" mower, automatic, EZ3 GREAT condition new blades and battery. Lights still work, still have owners manual, also comes with a seed spreader!

The picture looks like a "lower end" Craftsman lawn tractor and the deck looks pretty rough. You should be able to go to the Sears | In-Store & Online Shopping: Appliances, Clothing & More website and search on that 272140 SKU or click on the Sears Parts Central and find a manual on it. Most Craftsmans are made by Husqvarna(I just gave my 2006 54" Cratsman YS4500 to my son and it was a Huskv). You may be able to go to the Husqvarna website and find a model with the same specs(engine, deck size, etc.) and find some reviews there which would be the exact same mower. Depends on how much the guy is asking whether I would consider purchasing(it looks pretty "used" in the picture). Good luck finding out some more about it!!

fruitcop

Forum Newbie
Threads
The picture looks like a "lower end" Craftsman lawn tractor and the deck looks pretty rough. You should be able to go to the Sears | In-Store & Online Shopping: Appliances, Clothing & More website and search on that 272140 SKU or click on the Sears Parts Central and find a manual on it. Most Craftsmans are made by Husqvarna(I just gave my 2006 54" Cratsman YS4500 to my son and it was a Huskv). You may be able to go to the Husqvarna website and find a model with the same specs(engine, deck size, etc.) and find some reviews there which would be the exact same mower. Depends on how much the guy is asking whether I would consider purchasing(it looks pretty "used" in the picture). Good luck finding out some more about it!!

I asked him how many hours it had on it and he said around 50. I looked at the picture again and can't see what is rough on it. It doesn't have rust, scuffing, or damage. I will take a look at the sites above and see if I can learn more.

Thank you for the help

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks to be in decent condition for a pre-owned tractor but for hours the average at one time was 60 / year so I'm not believing his estimated hours.

The transmissions are the weak point on low end tractors so test drive it and after it is near operating temperature test the transmission by parking it level side to side and chocking the front wheels. If it will spin the rear wheel (s) on grass it is pretty good and if it will spin on concrete it's real good. If it tests ok and you like it offer $475.00. If he is a trader he probably won't take that but that's ok.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
djdicetn said:

Craftsman is not made by husqvarna or husky they are all made by AYP

Looks like a very good mower. This mower has not done a lot of cutting look at the wheels on the deck.
Craftsman tranns are very tough they are what is used for racing mowers.

I would say try for $450 to $500

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman is not made by husqvarna or husky they are all made by AYP

Actually they are made by Husqvarna as they own AYP.

According to WIKI Husqvarna AB is a Swedish manufacturer, the world's largest producer of chainsaws, lawn and garden equipment--
Husqvarna was spun off by Electrolux in 2006.
Husqvarna builds a variety of lawn and garden equipment for Sears under the Craftsman brand.

Brands Owned by Husqvarna
AYP (American Yard Products), Bradley (as in David Bradley. Roper purch. company from Sears and began building tractors for Sears), Flymo, Gardena AG, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Komatsu Zenhoa, Lawn King , Lawn King Rally, McCulloch, McCulloch Pro, Partner, Partner Pro, Pioneer chainsaws, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Rally, Rally Plus, Rodeo, Roper, Roper Rally, Talon, Weed Eater and Yard Pro.

They also build equipment for a number of private brands. :confused2:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
midnite rider said:
Actually they are made by Husqvarna as they own AYP.

According to WIKI Husqvarna AB is a Swedish manufacturer, the world's largest producer of chainsaws, lawn and garden equipment--
Husqvarna was spun off by Electrolux in 2006.
Husqvarna builds a variety of lawn and garden equipment for Sears under the Craftsman brand.

Brands Owned by Husqvarna
AYP (American Yard Products), Bradley (as in David Bradley. Roper purch. company from Sears and began building tractors for Sears), Flymo, Gardena AG, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Komatsu Zenhoa, Lawn King , Lawn King Rally, McCulloch, McCulloch Pro, Partner, Partner Pro, Pioneer chainsaws, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Rally, Rally Plus, Rodeo, Roper, Roper Rally, Talon, Weed Eater and Yard Pro.

They also build equipment for a number of private brands. :confused2:

Sorry I let my mouth over ride my brain

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry I let my mouth over ride my brain

No problem, I do the same often. I agree with you evaluation as I like my Craftsman tractors also. :tractor:. They have served me well over the years. I just posted a few of their classics under vintage ads for everyone to check out.:biggrin:

fruitcop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked up EZ3 and I think it is a mulching deck? I wanted to use this mower with a cyclone rake that I have.