Snapper riding mower drive drive belt keeps breaking

Argee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the rear-engine 381450HBVE and had to replace the drive belt #4-7117 that connects the engine to the hydro-drive. After using it for five minutes it melted off again. I think the belt went on with just the right amount of resistance, I had to walk it around by hand after it was about 1/3 the way around the drive pulley. The idler pulley part #2-3954 was also replaced because the top was chipped so I double-checked the spring tension and it felt good. I verified clearance and thought it was good. Alignment looks good.

The only thing I can think of is that the transmission itself is resisting at engine speed, but without the belt on I can easily turn the hydro drive's pulley by hand.

Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did the belt wear away on the inside or outside? I'm thinking that if you say the inside, you mounted the belt on the outside of one of the belt guides.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have done that. Now I look 2 or times to make sure

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Argee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dang, I should double checked that, I started messing with the controls and forgot about them guides. Thanks, will try again.

Argee

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper riding mower drive drive belt keeps breaking
Nope, there was no belt guide on the hydro-drive's belt. I did notice two things:
1. the idler pulley was barely lined up, so I added a washer between the pulley and the tension arm:

2. I noticed the new belt was pretty tight. Sure enough, I can engage the hydrodrive with the brake still on. The tension arm's stop is a little bit worn, not enough I don't think to explain everything:

-

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm a little confused?? Is it the deck drive belt or the hydro drive belt? Normally the hydro belt is the upper belt and deck is lower. In picture #2 it looks like the lower belt is loose and the upper belt is tight. Also, you never answered my question, is the wear on the inside or outside? Also, are the idler pulleys turning very freely?

Argee

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's the hydro drive belt.

Sorry about your question, but I don't know which side was burned and thought we were past that. It melted off with that wonderful burned rubber smell and smoke, there's nothing left that I can discern or sleuth. Sad little black pieces are all that remain. Again, I think I figured that part out, the belt is too tight; I just don't know why.

Again, I installed a brand new idler pulley, and confirmed there is no resistance from it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is the hydro, it should be tight at all times. It's tension is controlled by a idler bracket and pulley. Make sure that the bracket also moves freely.

Argee

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bracket moves freely, but like I said the stop is a little bit worn so the bracket stays a little bit tighter than original when applying the brake.

I decided to try it out, feathering the brake like a clutch so I wouldn't put too much pressure on the belt. I could easily drive it around with the brake completely on. I started smelling burned rubber again, but the hydro drive belt was fine; this time the deck drive belt melted!