Murray blade brake problems

brewscrew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a murray 40" cut, 13.5 HP, model # 405000X8. I removed the deck, replaced the belt, and reinstalled the deck. When I started the mower i saw white smoke from the deck and smelt burnt rubber. I thought I was burning up my belt but after further investigation i realized that the smoke was coming from the blade brake. When I engage the deck the brake stays on the pulley and causes it to smoke. How do i fix this? Can I adjust the idler pulley so that when i engage the deck the brake releases the mandrel pulley?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would take the deck back off look and make sure no springs came off or the end of the brake lever bent and not sitting in the grove

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

brewscrew

Forum Newbie
Threads
It looks like all the springs are there. I can move the brake with my hand. When I engage the deck the piece touches the brake lever but not enough to move it. If I could get to move about 1 inch then the brake would move. When i lower the deck and take the belt off, everything works fine. Do you think the belt is too tight? If so how do I adjust the mower drive belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds to me the belt is to short. I have done this put a shorter belt on so it would not slip in thick grass. Did you get the exact replacement belt or just try and match one to the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF