Craftsman Self-Propelled has stopped moving: Maybe just the V-belt?

TBm

Threads
  • / Craftsman Self-Propelled has stopped moving: Maybe just the V-belt?
Hello, all ==

Please see my two attached image files to identify/confirm the Craftsman Lawnmower model.

I've been using this mower for twelve years on rough, extremely hilly terrain. It's had a few problems, but all things considered, has performed admirably.

This season, I noticed the propulsion seemed to be getting weaker, and yesterday it quit entirely. I noticed a faint "squeeking" sound in the minutes before forward movement ceased, and I think there was a faint "burned rubber" smell.

I'm hoping repair will be a simple (and cheap) matter of REPLACING THE V-BELT that transfers power from the blade shaft to the forward-mounted gear case. Please see Part 5 in the exploded parts diagram below: described as V-belt, part number 146527.

FYI: The original front drive wheels wore out completely (an indication of hard use) so I replaced them last year. I think maybe the new, full tread of the replacement wheels/tires put additional strain on the aging propulsion system.

Please advise. Fingers crossed,
Tom

Attachments

• craftsman_id.jpg
    craftsman_id.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
  • diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, all ==

Please see my two attached image files to identify/confirm the Craftsman Lawnmower model.

I'm hoping repair will be a simple (and cheap) matter of REPLACING THE V-BELT that transfers power from the blade shaft to the forward-mounted gear case. Please see Part 5 in the exploded parts diagram below: described as V-belt, part number 146527.

FYI: The original front drive wheels wore out completely (an indication of hard use) so I replaced them last year. I think maybe the new, full tread of the replacement wheels/tires put additional strain on the aging propulsion system.

Please advise. Fingers crossed,
Tom

I'm thinkin it may be #36, try turning the wheels with the belt engaged, You might want to disconect the spark plug wire before hand. If that transaxel seized it would make the belt smell alright. If the wheels turn easily you you have a more expensive problem, if they don't, disengage the belt and try to turn the wheels and see if the pulley turns, this operation should be very smooth, if it's rough or choppy or doesn't turn at all, don't waste your money on a belt, not yet anyway. I would get a price on part #36 and decide if you want to put that much into 12 year old mower.Hopefully you are right:biggrin: you'll be back in business with a new belt.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you decide to replace the belt you may be able to get it from a auto parts store quicker and cheaper than Sears. The belt is going to have a number on it. Your parts guy should be abel to match or cross reference the number and have the belt on the shelf

TBm

Threads
Thanks for the advice, Robert. I'll open the mower up tomorrow morning if I have time, and will perform the tests as you suggest. I sure hope it's the belt. Money's tight.

And thanks for the auto parts store suggestion.

I'll post results here. Thanks again.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the advice, Robert. I'll open the mower up tomorrow morning if I have time, and will perform the tests as you suggest. I sure hope it's the belt. Money's tight.

And thanks for the auto parts store suggestion.

I'll post results here. Thanks again.

If there is a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) in your area check them out, they have a great selection of all sizes of belts. And just wondering, could the belt have come off the pully underneath the deck?
I have always had mostly self propelled mowers, on the front drive models there is usually little difference in the propulsion systems. If you remove the belt cover several times a mowing season and powerwash the debris out, belts last much longer as they are not being frictioned by all the grit that builds up underneath.

TBm

Threads
JD ==

Thanks. There is a TSC in Omaha, so I'll check there as well as auto parts shops. Sears wants high dollar for it (no surprise).

The belt is not the problem. I pulled the upper cover and found the space PACKED with grass. Looked like a "grass brick" LOL. I cleared it all out. The belt is in good shape but is a bit hard and shiney, so I'll replace it.

Clearly the gears are stripped in the power transfer case. There's a helical gear that meshes with a worm gear attached to the belt pulley. I'll have to replace both and buy white lithium grease ($35-$40 plus S/H)

STUPID DESIGN: I cannot remove the lower plastic belt shield, or the belt itself without removing the keyed, press-fit blade holder from the motor shaft. Sheeesh.

So I have to buy a gear puller, remove the blade, blade holder, lower belt shield and belt before I can pull out the gear box and drive shaft.

Not looking forward to going inside the gear box. I can buy a new one complete for $65 +$9 S/H or a used one locally for $33 (no warranty, no return).

Any suggestions? Thanks

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's time to do a cost analysis.
You have to evaluate your mower and try to determine how much time the motor has left. Look CAREFULLY :thumbsup:at the deck, wheels, bushings bearings and any other items that my have to be replaced in the next year or so. Then find out the cost of a suitable replacement while at the same time thinking about an upgrade/ Was this mower well suited for your application or did it have some limitations that perhaps need to be considered?
12 years is a long time for an air cooled engine even if it's been properly maintained, but your the one who is looking at it and know how it's been stored, maintained and operated.
At some point your going to come up with 2 numbers, one for a new mower and one for rebuilding this one. The only other thing to consider is operating costs, down time and your financial situation. When you consider you're new mower try to make sure that filters, plugs and other parts are as easy to get as the Craftsman. I don't think you could recoup your cost's by fixing the old mower and selling it, not if you consider your time, but that might be a possibilty:cool:.
Get these numbers togther and pick the one that makes the most sense to you. F
From what I've read here, I think it's time for a new mower:rolleyes:.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 0

TBm

Threads
Robert ==

Thanks for the financial run down. I think you're really Dave Ramsey or Clark Howard masquerading on this forum as Robert Brown. :biggrin:

My situation is weird. Without going into detail, money is very tight right now, and if all goes well, the house will go on the market in the Spring. I don't know where I might end up (could be an apartment, please God, no!) so I think this mower just needs to work for one more summer.

I plan to bury it in the yard the night before I move out! :biggrin:

I borrowed a gear puller from my neighbor today and tried to remove the blade holder from the motor shaft so I could remove the blasted v-belt. That blade holder wouldn't budge. Took the tool back to the neighbor, but he said, "Lemme come over and help ya. We'll get it off." BIG MISTAKE: Burly neighbor put the gorilla strength on it and POW!, the damned part broke. Seems it's just cast iron crap.

So now I'm kinda screwed. I think I'll have to cut a slit through the side of the part (parallel to the shaft inside it) with a Dremel cut-off wheel, then heat it a little, pry it a little and she if she'll slide off. I haven't checked the Sears price yet because I'm afraid too. :eek: And the worst part is, the belt is probably fine. I just wanted to replace it "to avoid potential problems..."

LESSON 1: No good deed goes unpunished.
LESSON 2: Never let your neighbor come over and "help you."

Robert, I'm going to disregard entirely your excellent suggestion to inspect the rest of the mower carefully. :wink: I can't afford a new one, and buying parts for this one stopped making sense about three years ago. So I'm going to repair the gear box for as little cost as possible, button it all back up and cross my fingers that she makes it until I close on the house...

If I'm forced to buy a replacement mower, I'm afraid I'll be using it as a coffee table in some post-divorce apartment next year. What a life... :confused2:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert ==

Thanks for the financial run down. I think you're really Dave Ramsey or Clark Howard masquerading on this forum as Robert Brown. :biggrin:

My situation is weird. Without going into detail, money is very tight right now, and if all goes well, the house will go on the market in the Spring. I don't know where I might end up (could be an apartment, please God, no!) so I think this mower just needs to work for one more summer.

I plan to bury it in the yard the night before I move out! :biggrin:

I borrowed a gear puller from my neighbor today and tried to remove the blade holder from the motor shaft so I could remove the blasted v-belt. That blade holder wouldn't budge. Took the tool back to the neighbor, but he said, "Lemme come over and help ya. We'll get it off." BIG MISTAKE: Burly neighbor put the gorilla strength on it and POW!, the damned part broke. Seems it's just cast iron crap.

So now I'm kinda screwed. I think I'll have to cut a slit through the side of the part (parallel to the shaft inside it) with a Dremel cut-off wheel, then heat it a little, pry it a little and she if she'll slide off. I haven't checked the Sears price yet because I'm afraid too. :eek: And the worst part is, the belt is probably fine. I just wanted to replace it "to avoid potential problems..."

LESSON 1: No good deed goes unpunished.
LESSON 2: Never let your neighbor come over and "help you."

Robert, I'm going to disregard entirely your excellent suggestion to inspect the rest of the mower carefully. :wink: I can't afford a new one, and buying parts for this one stopped making sense about three years ago. So I'm going to repair the gear box for as little cost as possible, button it all back up and cross my fingers that she makes it until I close on the house...

If I'm forced to buy a replacement mower, I'm afraid I'll be using it as a coffee table in some post-divorce apartment next year. What a life... :confused2:

confucsious or some other chinese guy once said "What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger".
Take a look around, I'm sure you have alot to be thankful for. Someday you'll look back on this and you'll wonder what it as that made you stressed.
Best regards
RB

smitty6398

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would opt for the used trans and reuse the belt if it tensions up OK. The belt is available thru aftermarket sources, many repair shops sell Stens and/or Oregon parts that are somewhat cheaper. The belt is a half-size 3/8" x 32 1/2" long, you won't hardly find those at an auto parts store. Or: take the belt off, replace the blade adapter, remove gears #13; and use it as a PUSH mower for the rest of the season-- then throw it in with the house when it sells; or moving/sale it for $50 or so.