Toro Self-propelled Mower

rhonda42

Threads
I have a six year old Toro self-propelled mower whose engine is completely gone. A friend of mine says he can put in a rebuilt engine for about $100. Is this wise, or do you think I should just bite the bullett and go buy a brand new mower ?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My first thought is I would get a new mower, but I haven't seen the condition of this one and I'm not familiar with the model or the condition. If the deck is in great shape and the wheels don't wobble much and everying else is excellent then I would ask this guy about his warranty. If he will back the engine for a year, and everything else in in great shape it may be worth it.
Like I said I'm not familiar with that mower but right now you might find one that will meet your needs for around 200$ brand new on sale. If you can get a 200$ mower to last 6 years.......
I don't think your deck or wheels are going to in such great shape after 6 years as well as the rest of the unit. Things like throttle cables and bag attachments are going to fail soon and they can be hard to find and pricy so you may wind up 1- 2 years down the road with a 200 mower that is shot but has a good engine.
How much did the Toro cost new?