Toro Recycler B&S engine starts and then shuts off

bgrizzly

Forum Newbie
Threads
My sons mow lawns in the neighborhood and they were just given a Toro Recycler for free. The issue is that it will start but immediately shut off. I have new gas in and changed the oil. During some trouble shooting I found out that if someone holds the primer bulb in just right, the engine will continue to run. Admittedly, I am not an engine person but I can tinker and fix things if I know what to do. Any thoughts about the issue and potential solution would be helpful.

scott47429

Threads
I'm going to say you need a new primer bulb i have a Tecumseh that does the same thing so I'm going to put one on tomorrow and see what happens

chance123

Threads
Bear in mind that some primer bulbs have a hole in it, and some don't. When replacing, it is important to clean out any and all of the old one along with the old retaining ring, so the new one will seat and seal out any air leaks.

scott47429

Threads
ok i went and got the parts took the carb totaly part and let it soak in some good carb soak and put it back together with a new primer bulb and primed it 3 times and start red and ran great on first pull i hope that gives you a idea on what to do to your toro

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bet it wasn't the primer bulb, but the main jet partly plugged. By holding the primer you are also creating a high vacuum in the carb which will draw more fuel to keep it running.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets said:
Bet it wasn't the primer bulb, but the main jet partly plugged. By holding the primer you are also creating a high vacuum in the carb which will draw more fuel to keep it running.

I had the same thing going on and was told was the primer bulb. Thought to my self no it primes so bet its good. Anyways added sea foam to my gas and two tanks later runs as it should

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like gunk in the valves. I agree clean the carb. If you take it apart and line up the parts and remember excatly how it goes back together get some carb spray from an auto parts store and shoot every hole every part of the carb make sure the float and needle go back in correctly

scott47429

Threads
no I'm going to say it was the primer bulb since it was cracked around the middle and the locking ring was loose so it wasn't holding it tight to the carb cause unless i held the bulb all the way in it wouldn't run till it warmed up then it would run and mow just fine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just said someone had to hold the primer bulb in, not that it was cracked and loose.

scott47429

Threads
i didn't know it was cracked and loose till i went to take it out