craftsman tractor for lawn care

boston

Threads
Right now I'm using 2 craftsman tractors for my buisness. They are not commercial but have been working great. I use them to cut and tow our trailer around to my customers. Next year I will have a trailer with a truck and the tractors will go on the trailer because I will be driving instead of taking the tractors. Because of this, we will be obtaining MANY more customers. I was wondering if these machines would die because were planning on getting many more customers than we have right now, being that they are consumer tractors not commercial. The newer one is a 15 HP kohler 1996 which runs great and the other is a 12.5 HP briggs which I'm working on cuz the ignition got fried. If these won't last, I will have to buy zero turns. Im pretty much ready with all my other equipment, all my blowers are commercial and a toro walk behind. Please let me know, thanks .

scott47429

Threads
there not going to last alot longer i wouldn't think since they are for consumer use not commercial but one thing to keep in mind is you can do the work of both tractors with one zero turn but don't go out and get yourself into debit since to me it sounds like you just getting started and with winter coming on is a good time to buy but at the same time if you have to finance it then your going to be making payments with out money coming in so if you can afford to but a zero turn then go for it and maybe keep the newer craftsman as a back up or just to pull you lawn cart around with i don't really know what kinda a set up you have but it sounds like your on the right track good luck

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a lot of faith in craftsmen mowers

The engine is the same as any other mower.
The rear end / trans are tough.
The steering is built tough will out last JD-snapper or any MTD. Mower.

Now the bad part is the spindle housing.
For $20.00 you can replace one.

I think a rider gives a better cut than a zero turn.
Less things to break cheaper to fix.
I have a 97 craftsman that I have cut over 2000 bank owned homes with only thing to ever break was belts and spindles from hitting things that don't move.
If you like the way it cuts then keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Right now I'm using 2 craftsman tractors for my business. They are not commercial but have been working great. I use them to cut and tow our trailer around to my customers. Next year I will have a trailer with a truck and the tractors will go on the trailer because I will be driving instead of taking the tractors. Because of this, we will be obtaining MANY more customers. I was wondering if these machines would die because were planning on getting many more customers than we have right now, being that they are consumer tractors not commercial. The newer one is a 15 HP kohler 1996 which runs great and the other is a 12.5 HP Briggs which I'm working on cuz the ignition got fried. If these won't last, I will have to buy zero turns. I'm pretty much ready with all my other equipment, all my blowers are commercial and a toro walk behind. Please let me know, thanks .

I agree with Scott there probably not going to last a lot longer. I don't know how many customers you have now or how many more you plan on obtaining but remember in the Lawn-care Business time is money. Some type of zero turn whether it be a rider or stander will be two to three times faster than a consumer Lawn Tractor and give you a lot better cut. If I were you I'd buy the Commercial zero turn mower and keep the others for your back up mowers.

boston

Threads
You are all right. The tractors I have now are tough but it takes me so long to do each job. I'll probably buy a used zero turn on Craigslist within a few months but the craftsmans have been good to me since they lasted this long. I tow up a trailer to my customers and its hundreds of pounds, and the tranny is still running great along with the motor. What brand zero turn should I start looking at? It has to have a built in bagging system. I like the walkers.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are all right. The tractors I have now are tough but it takes me so long to do each job. I'll probably buy a used zero turn on Craigslist within a few months but the craftsmans have been good to me since they lasted this long. I tow up a trailer to my customers and its hundreds of pounds, and the tranny is still running great along with the motor. What brand zero turn should I start looking at? It has to have a built in bagging system. I like the walkers.

This is a loaded question and your going to receive a lot of different opinions. Everybody has there favorite. I personally like the Toro and the Cub Cadets but others will like Scag, Dixie, Exmark and the list goes on and all are great machines. You say you like the Walker Mowers and IMO they're probably the one of best on the market and also the most expensive, if you can afford one that's what I'd buy. The only advice I can give is to determine how clients you'll be servicing and do the research on a few mowers of your choice, talk to some dealers and tell them your intentions and get there recommendations and put it all together and pick your mower accordingly. I'd stay away from the residential mowers though, the commercial grade mowers will be your best choice.

boston

Threads
Ok thanks. Should I plan on buying 2 zero turns or a commercial walk behind with 1 zero turn because I will have 2 other workers and I will also need backup mowers.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok thanks. Should I plan on buying 2 zero turns or a commercial walk behind with 1 zero turn because I will have 2 other workers and I will also need backup mowers.

Well this is going to sound a little bias but if your going to buy 2 mowers a ZTR and a WB, if I were you I'd go down to the nearest Toro Dealer and look at there Toro Grandstand, it's zero turn and if you flip up the Flex Ride platform you have a walk behind, best of both worlds in one and you can get deck sizes from 36" to 60"

74534-79534-California-Modellcb2011_gs74534_r_2.jpg

boston

Threads
Those are nice but I don't like standing on a mower I would rather sit. I'm definitely planning to buy the walker but the grandstand could be my second mower.